Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2002, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Demolition Hammer of Concrete Saw

First, I'm very grateful to the professionals who provided me with excellent advice regarding the removal of a concrete slab.

Now, I need to cut a curve in asphalt which is no more than three inches thick. It was not layed on top of concrete, instead it was layed on shell. My local rental company offers a concrete saw with the appropriate diamond blade for wet cutting, but tells me it will not cut a radius. They did not suggest a demolition hammer and I didn't think to ask at the time.

What would be your tool of choice? The curve would be slight for about 80 feet and become more pronouced for another 60 feet.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

The best thing is a road saw which is a gas powered cut off saw mounted on a frame and wheels with a water tank but this is very hard to use unless you are well experienced. The easiest is use a cut off saw free hand the saw should have a dry diamond blade for cutting concrete and asphault. It will be hard on the back and can be hard to keep cutting in a straight line using a cut off saw.

The third option is use a good powerfull skillsaw and masonary blades it will take a while but its probably the most accurate process its easier to control a small circular saw.

I wouldn't try a jack hammer old pavement can all bust up on ya if you start viberating it and you won't get a clean edge the pavement should be cut.

Good Luck
Old 12-15-2002, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use the consrete saw and cut it in sections. Also, don't cut all the way through all at once. Just take your time so you don't bend the blade. We do this all the time with pavers. I am under the assumption that this is an outside radius. Much trickier to do an inside radius. Good Luck.
Scott
Old 12-15-2002, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing to add - the smaller the saw blade, the tighter the radius you can cut - it sounds like a very gentle curve, so a 16" or 14" will probably do fine, but if in doubt, get a 12".
Old 12-15-2002, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Radius is finished

Thank you gentlemen. I rented a 14 inch portable saw that is cradled in a rolling cart, with a water tank, as described by gravel rat. I had my choice of wheeling or hand carrying. I wheeled.

As suggested, I took my time and now have a beautiful outside radius cut. The line will not need to be touched up. I used abraisive blades on the asphalt and rented a diamond blade for some concrete cutting - - about 24 feet, no curves.

Again, thanks for the guidance.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats good to hear I'am glad it worked out for you when I was cutting pavement we used a diamond wheel we tried it without water and you couldn't see me in the cloud of white dust

We fixed the water line that cools the blade and keeps the dust down what a difference the only problem was my black Carharts overalls were covered in a white paste