Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Im psyched! Picking up my HRX217HXA tomorrow!!!

After purchasing a HRT2162TDA ~6yr ago (was ~5yr old when I got it) when my B&S powered snapper bit it I have become a Honda mower for life kind of person. The Snapper was always hard to start (im 6'1" ~190) so there was no way my wife could have used it in a pinch. I had heard of Hondas rep for being a one pull and go mower and also after witnessing my father in laws ~20yr old Honda mower still start on one pull and never giving him an issue that I would jump on the wagon.

I owned my HRT for 6yr and it never ever took more than a pull to start it (and im talking limp wristed pull too, never a full manly pull!). Even after running all the gas out of it to sit the 3.5-4 months during the winter when it wasn't being used.

Since I use a service to fertilize my lawn (I cannot buy the products for cheaper then putting the time into the equation, its a no brainer) my lawn is quite lush and thick. Being that I sell cars for a living, I have to cut the grass when I can. Whether that's first thing in the morning when the dew is still present or after a rain. The HRT was great but the 160cc motor wasn't strong enough to mulch the grass and because of that I would have to double mow to get rid of the grass line.

So began the search for a Honda mower with a 190cc motor. I could have just went and plunked down the $$$ for a new one but whats the fun in that!? After looking at the models with the 190cc motor I decided that I also wanted the BBC (stops the blade while the engine still runs during bag changes/stick removal from path/whatever) and I couldn't resist the Hydrostatic tranny. From what I have learned, its super simple and requires no maintenance at all unless broken/leaking. Some of HRX217's have the smartdrive and that just didn't appeal to me. This brought me to the HRX217HXA as the mower I would find and hopefully be using to cut my lawn within a couple weeks.

I searched local craigslists for weeks finding a couple in the $500 range but every time they got picked up before I could make a move. Then after about 2 months of searching I decided to individually search craigslists from further cities. Finally I found a 4yr old HXA in IN that was being sold by an older woman. I had her call me as soon as she could so I could find out all the info on this specific unit. She purchased it new 4yr ago from a local lawn equipment company. After 2yr she had back surgery and did not use it after that. Though she still had the shop pick it up every season for their yearly tune up!

Im leaving tomorrow at ~7am to make the 5h (one way) trip to pick her up and I be I wont sleep much tonight!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Congratulations! I hope the new mower deal exceeds your expectations. Enjoy!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Let's see some pics of the new baby...

Depending on when the unit was registered, you may have some warranty left. I work for Honda, so send me a PM with the frame serial number (rear of the mower deck), name & address, and I can update the record to show you as the new owner.

Why? Honda works with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to keep records as accurate as we can, just in case there's a safety recall on that mower in the future. You won't get any spam, junk mail, etc. -Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nutsedge congrats! I actually bought that same mower new last year. Apparently Honda is having some sort of carburetor issues as mine already needs a new one & they are back ordered. Love the mower when it is running though......
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'm about 2 hours into the trip to pick it up, we just stopped at National Trail rest area in IL to take a whizz!

Big- I do to.

Robert- I will certainly pm you when I get it. I really appreciate it too.

AV- I heard about that and have plenty of carb cleaner ready for it if the need arises.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats. Don't sweat over a fear of carb issues. It's got about as inexpensive a carb to service as it gets.

I've had mine for about 5 years now, and it's been absolutely great. I haven't seen any other 21" mower out there that I'd be more happy with.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not positive but I think the carb issue my mower has has something to do with the newer models not the older ones. The service guy lead me to believe it was a faulty design. I'll know for sure in a week or two & post it here.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got home. This mower is just about petrfect! There is a bit of surface rust on the handle and some light scratches on the deck, all stuff I think I can take care of in short order.

When I got there she had it our front for me. After talking a bit I walked over to it , put the throttle lever to choke and pulled the starter. It fired right up as I thought it would. Then I put it on about mid speed and pushed the lever to engage the tranny. It didn't move much at all. So I put the speed all the way up and let it rip. it then took off and went maybe 2.5mph. I know that the cable for the speed needs to be adjusted yearly and since it doesn't move at all in the first three notches for the speed control that is the issue.

After it warmed up I messed with the throttle. I was kind of expecting the carb to need cleaning and it does. It surges in the fast position but runs perfect in the choke mode. Sound right?

Those two things enables me to get an even better deal than I had worked out!!!

I'll have pics in a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsedge View Post
I know that the cable for the speed needs to be adjusted yearly and since it doesn't move at all in the first three notches for the speed control that is the issue.

After it warmed up I messed with the throttle. I was kind of expecting the carb to need cleaning and it does. It surges in the fast position but runs perfect in the choke mode. Sound right?
I haven't had to adjust my speed control cable yet, but I have noticed needing to go a notch or two more than I did when it was new. It's no big deal and isn't hurting the machine. For me anyway, I go pretty slow (because I mulch, and don't mow as often as I should, so things get tall). If you like to go fast, you'll have to adjust it more often.

Mine has always surged on "rabbit" with the blades disengaged, and has always wanted to stall on "turtle", but runs perfectly with the blades engaged.
If it is surging under load with the blades spinning, I'd look into the carb. If it is just surging while idling, don't bother touching it.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
I haven't had to adjust my speed control cable yet, but I have noticed needing to go a notch or two more than I did when it was new. It's no big deal and isn't hurting the machine. For me anyway, I go pretty slow (because I mulch, and don't mow as often as I should, so things get tall). If you like to go fast, you'll have to adjust it more often.

Mine has always surged on "rabbit" with the blades disengaged, and has always wanted to stall on "turtle", but runs perfectly with the blades engaged.
If it is surging under load with the blades spinning, I'd look into the carb. If it is just surging while idling, don't bother touching it.
Actually I just looked at the speed lever for the mower and there is a very easy adjustment where the cord connects to the housing for the speed control/throttle. Where the speed control line attaches there is a nut on the outside and inside of the housing. All I did was tighten it up and now it creeps on the first setting and pops wheelies on the fastest!

Although I am going to look at the wire on the other side as when I tightened it up, that was as far as I can go. I would like for it to be in the middle so hopefully there is an adjustment on the side that connects to the tranny.

When I start mine on choke it fires right up and if left in the choke position will run indefinitely at a perfectly smooth clip. If I put it to the fast/rabbit selection it backfires and surges something awful. It pretty much does this anywhere in the range but choke. If I get just slightly slower than rabbit speed the engine will die.

Not sure if its just the gaskets in the carb or the carb itself. Luckily I have the hook up on pretty much any part you can think of so I have my guy pricing out a carb kit and the whole carb too.