Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcoats View Post
Let's see some pics of the new baby...

Depending on when the unit was registered, you may have some warranty left. I work for Honda, so send me a PM with the frame serial number (rear of the mower deck), name & address, and I can update the record to show you as the new owner.

Why? Honda works with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to keep records as accurate as we can, just in case there's a safety recall on that mower in the future. You won't get any spam, junk mail, etc. -Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.
I emailed you but I wasn't 100% sure of what your addy was so I sent it to Robert@Honda.com. But now that I re read your post, im not sure that was even your email addy but that you were just perhaps signing off as Robert at Honda.. oops.

I also dont think I can send pm's yet. When I click your name there is no pm option.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's see it!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah the pics, forgot about them! This was right when I took it out of the bed of the truck, not cleaned at all.

Robert, here is pic of the tag with the sn.

So a bit later than when the pics were taken I started messing with the mower. I took out the plug/cleaned it and inspected the combustion chamber, all looks great. Checked the oil and it was spot on but I decided to change it anyway. So here is some info that may just show how anal I am about my stuff...

I work at a dealership (Internet sales manager) and have access to BG products. Luckily I am friends with the guys in the back and got the BG Quick Clean/Some fuel additive to increase power-clean/and finally BG MOA, which is really a great product, for free. So I gave it the "works" oil change. Then I turned it on its side and scraped all grass/debris I could find (which wasn't much at all in the first place) and removed the blades. I then (with a flat blade screw driver/small/medium handled pry bars/very small flat blade driver and a really neat curved pick that looks like a dentist tool almost) proceeded to scrape off all the grass/debris and rust from the blades. Them I hit it with my steel brushes to really get the rust off. I then cleaned the blades with electronics cleaner and then rubbed them down with PB Blaster.

I purchased some proper files about a week ago in preparation of getting this mower and also because I read mixed comments about using a bench grinder. So I took about 45m to a hour and sharped the two blades to what I can only describe as a Katana like edge. Not really but I impressed myself!

So all that's left really is a complete cleani9ng with simple green and touch up of rust on the handle and scrapes in the deck.

That brings up a couple questions. Since this is a Nexite deck, what is the procedure for repairing scratches in the deck? I purchased the premium krylon in the color Aluminum and hope that matches. For the handle I guess I just need to file/sandpaper the rust down till there is none left, primer and then finish with a satin black (what I would describe the finish of the handle)?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcoats View Post
Let's see some pics of the new baby...

Depending on when the unit was registered, you may have some warranty left. I work for Honda, so send me a PM with the frame serial number (rear of the mower deck), name & address, and I can update the record to show you as the new owner.

Why? Honda works with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to keep records as accurate as we can, just in case there's a safety recall on that mower in the future. You won't get any spam, junk mail, etc. -Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.
Robert can you get me new stickers that fell off my HRX? Honda blew me off on it.
Honda HRX217HXA 21" Mower
Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I am planning on cutting my grass the first time with this new mower tomorrow and have been happy with the Honda factory blades on my old HRT with quadra cut but does anyone have any experience with any aftermarket blade/s that are positive?

Also from my observations it seems as this HRX has some sort of high lift lower blade on the bottom as it has a much larger "flare/up sweep" on the ends of the blade compared to my HRT. Any comments on this or am I trippin'?
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

You be trippin. The factory blades are fine as long as they are sharp. They give a nice fine cut.
Honda HRX217HXA 21" Mower
Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

But are the blades on the HRX I just purchased any different than the ones on my old HRT?from what I remember they look to be more high lift.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The blades off my HRX purchased last year if it helps....

Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pic but those of course, look like the blades on my HRX. I'm just going to say that yes, the HRX has a higher lift blade than my old HRT2162TDA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Cold as Ice...

That is the phrase that best describes the Honda HRX217HXA.

It rained steadily from Friday afternoon till Saturday evening here. I was very worried that I would not be able to use my new mower today. Needless to say it was very wet this morning when I mowed but it was the only time I had to do it and I figured it would be a great test of the ability of my new machine. So not only had it been raining the previous day but also I had not cut the grass in 2 weeks. With my old mower I would have had to cut and recut over and over to try to get rid of the grass line/s and im certain that the old Honda would have bogged multiple times and force me to back up and try again.

The HRX never even blinked. I had it on straight mulch and was going at roughly 85%-90% full speed. It was amazing!

Here are some pics to help show what it was up against.

Before

After

Some shots of cut and uncut areas.

This is where I turned around at the end of the fence. Very wet!

Finished product. Perfect!

This is where the turn around shot was from. I cant believe how great it did in this soggy area where the grass was atleast 7"-8" before the lawn was mowed.

The machine after.
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!