Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris ICD vs. Non ICD Deck experience

Currently have an older 3100 Ferris with a non-ICD deck and am looking to upgrade. Love the mower, hate the deck. It had terrible clumping in even slightly damp conditions until dealer put an exagerated amount of tip in the deck which helped but didn't eliminate the problem. Love the Ferris machine and the ride as we have rough terrain. Looking for input from users with significant experience on both ICD and non-ICD decks. Found lots of other posts with users who commented after trying the new deck or after just getting it, but I would like to hear from users who have had the new deck for a longer time and put more hours on it. My first choice is the Ferris 3100 36HP ICD if the deck is improved. Also considering the Exmark x-series 60" with ultracut series 6 deck but concerned about ride quality. Thanks....
Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Love the mower, hate the deck. It had terrible clumping in even slightly damp conditions until dealer put an exagerated amount of tip in the deck which helped but didn't eliminate the problem.
I, too, love the mower and hate the deck. Well, I guess hate is a strong word since I really don't have any issues with the deck until I cut Rye grass. Everything else I cut I have no issues so I hope everyone who cuts Rye has as much difficulty as I do. Man, it'll clog up the deck in a 1/2 acre. What did your dealer do to your deck?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Originally the dealer adjusted the engine RPM up a bit which didn't help much. Later they angled the deck (low in front, high in back) which is a normal set-up I believe, but they went way beyond normal specs for the amount of tip (1/2"???). This really helped with the clogging, but with a deck tipped too much the grass is not cut evenly. The sacrifice in cut quality was definately worth the improvement with less clogging/clumping. I also seem to notice a difference based on deck height. Normally I am set arount the 4" mark.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 3100 with an ICD. I put some hours on a non ICD Ferris and i couldn't wait to give it back. Nothing else to say, i loved the machine but hated the deck. Later, i demo'd a 2000Z with an ICD and i was sold so i bought a 3100Z with an ICD deck. To me, it competes with Velocity & Ultracut. At 1st i found myself saying discharge could be better since i was coming from an Trivantage where the 12" chute will throw it 3 passes but honestly, now i think the discharge is perfect. Cut is great, ride is great, well built, totally satisfied.

I made a couple of small mods, added a turn down on the exhaust, a filter minder, removed the seat belt, just small stuff.

The ICD is a huge improvement, demo one and i think you will be pleased.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 04-12-2012, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I just wanted to inform you the ICD deck should be level or no more than a 1/8 inch tilt towards the front or it will not cut that great(this is what Ferris told me),good luck.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

My manual, 07' 52" 1500/24 kawi said 1/4 pitch. Hated the discharge windrows so, moved to a Scag stander which looks to be the same deck as ICD. No windrows.

2012 F150FX Scab
2011 Scag 52" Vride
(3) Craftsman 42" riders
(1) John Deer 318 not working
(1) older Agrifab tow leaf sucker-upper, works good
(1) 2011 Echo Long shaft hedge trimmer
(1) 07' Honda single stage snow blower
(1) 2010 18" Echo chainsaw
(1) 2012 Husqvarna 326LS trimmer
(1) 2011 Ariens Pro 32" snow thrower