Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

please please help! help a new guy

First off, im sorry for the long post in advance. But if you will bare with me and let me know what you think i would very much appreciate it.

Im a fireman in atlanta and a own a pressure washing company as well. Im looking to get out of the fire business due to the things i see and want to just spray lawns and put out fert. and pressure wash as well.My goal is 3 yrs.

I just started my research of fertilizing. I have ordered the books to study to get my licence. I have visited a local company that sells fert. and pre-emergent in bulk. both liquid and granular. Im looking for any advice about the business. I will be servicing mainly bermuda and a small amount of fescue. Any advice is much welcome! Any advice you can give someone getting into the business would be great. Is there websites you can go to learn besides this one? or classes i can sign up for or am i just totally crazy and shouldnt do this? I was to start it next march so i have 11 months to research and buy the equipt i need. And yes i know what kind of investment it is and im tilling to make it.

Next profit: This business sounds very profitable. This is just a example i know its not for every treatment. 28-5-12 50lb covers 14k sp ft. if you have 3 yards 5k each and you charge 45.00/yard=135.00 - 28.00/bag=107.00/3=35.00 yard Yes yes i know theres other expenses im just saying it seems very profitable. I own a business i know about gas, insurance all that good stuff.

I will take and and all advice if you are willing to give it to me. am a totally crazy or am i on the right track. Im not tooting my own horn but i feellike a have a winnner of a mind i just have to put it into play. Please respond or if you are willing to talk to me in much detail if you will call me at404-557-5782. thanks you in advance for all responses and questions answered
Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you on a ft 5 day rotation or 3 on 1 off?

I would say go work pt for a smaller local fertilization company that may need some help 1 or 2 days a week, see if you like it. You can make a million doing anything in this country but it helps if you know what your getting into. You might see what guys get down there for your size lawn. I know Ric is in FL and gets the most per 1000 sq ft, keep reading threads, you might get a beatch slap from some guys but others on here are very helpful. I'm just cool season grasses so I don't know what guys do for chem down your way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If your really interested in doing this,try this first ,see if you can get hired by fert company and this way you'll see if you really want to do it. Not as easy as it looks.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Send me a pm, we service the entire atl area. I'll be glad to help where I can.

It's not as easy as it sounds, knowledge and networking is they key in this industry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Man if i had to work for someone else doing anything at what were paying our people. Even 20.00 bucks an hour dosnt cover the living expenses...it certainly dosnt provide a lifestyle.... Id get burnt out quick...BUT getting paid what the boss gets paid...make all the work seem worth it.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes i work 24 hrs on 48 hrs off. I pressure wash on my 48 off. I am aware its not as easy as it seems and a drag hoses around all day with both my jobs. im not afrais of hard work. Was my math equation correct or was i off? please keep the replys coming i would love to have everyone opinion
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Call backs and touch ups eat into profits big time. New clients just to go look at the lawn cost you time and fuel. By the time you get done you might profit $30-40 per lawn. If you go big time and buy several pallets of material at a time you'll save more but you'll need the work to support it. It's not easy at all. I actually gave up fert and chem as of this year. I'm a full time correction officer and thought the same as you it's not easy. Not like pressure washing a house if they are happy at end of the job you get paid and everyone is happy. With lawn chem it's a whole different story. You own that lawn for the year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I learned this trade before I became a professional firefighter. I continued working part time for other companies during the 10 yrs I was with the FD. I went through a divorce(common for cops and firefighters) This turned my world upside down. I bought equipment and started my own business. I worked it on my days off from the FD for 3 yrs and reached a point where I had to make a decision. In the meantime, I had remarried and had a new child. After working holidays and weekends and dealing with the calendar at the FD for 10 yrs, it wasn't a difficult decision to make for me. However, my wife was a teacher and we were able to get insurance through her job. Having her as my partner made the transition much easier than it would have been had I been single. I have never looked back and it was the best decision I ever made. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Hope you can get a 5k yard for $45. I've lost yards for being $2 to high. Seems like most we price are very price sensitive these days. Some not. Good luck