Register free!

Old 11-23-2014, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting Caps

I am quoting the installation of an amphitheater for this coming Spring. I am only responsible for hand work, laying of wall, capping.
All excavation, compaction, backfilling, etc. will be done by the site work contractor whom I work with frequently, so they know ow thins need to be prepared for us.

The block that was spec'd bu the Landscape Design firm was VersaLok Mosaic.

There will be 1100 linear feet of caps to install at the end, all with a slight taper as the amphitheater is semi-circular (2400 square feet of 18" walls).

We know the cut angle for the caps at each tier already, but my question is what would be the saw of choice to use to mass produce these caps on site?
Miter or table? About 1000 caps altogether. Or, is there a company that will custom cut them for us?

The difference from one tier to the next is about 1/8", so accuracy is important.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2014, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry bout that. Phone rang as I was typing and hit the submit button inadvertently.

A table saw is a miter saw.

But a table saw will do a much much nicer, cleaner, and truer cut. If looks are important then use a table saw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Should I make a jig for each tier to get the right angle or mark and run through free hand?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

G:

You did not mention what type of cap, so I would assume the C cap (rectangular cap). Could the Veranda Cap (tapered) work better for you? The tapered cap might fit without any cutting.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Dubs View Post
Thanks

Should I make a jig for each tier to get the right angle or mark and run through free hand?
Jig.....You said earlier you wanted to mass produce these
Jig.....Can you mark and freehand with 100% accuracy ?, probably not
Old 12-21-2014, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unsure of what exactly you're talking about, but if you know exactly what they have to be, see if there are any companies in your area that do water jet cutting (used in the metal manufacturing trade). They should be able to cut accurately and quickly for a reasonable price.

Might be way off in this advice, as noted above.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll try that route.

The general contractor needed a labor price for the whole project now, so I priced it as us cutting the caps on site. We figured out the front and back lengths of the caps for each tier with some simple trig, so we could probably have them pre cut if I look hard enough for someone to do it.

I gave him a square foot price (which was just my estimated labor time/square feet of wall) of $13.00 for labor only. The agreement is that it will be dug and base installed and all I have to do is a quick screed and a little hand tamp, then laying block/capping. He will have the block staged wherever I need it to be, so we wont be humping blocks around the site all day, and he'll have his GPS set up for us to get the wall face correct.

I also will help his operator for about two days of setting the steps, from which the middle row has been eliminated.

The site is about 10 min from our shop, so down time is minimal.

I try not to ask "what would you charge?", but does this seem reasonable?

I'e attached the site plan and a picture of what they're going for as far as looks.
Attached Images

Last edited by G_Dubs; 12-22-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if I posed the question right, but noticed no feedback as of yet,
for I'm charging $13.00 per square foot to just lay the block, not buying any material, no digging, no base prep, no backfilling...just 24" walls (caps included).

thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems awful high to me, just slingin blocks into place!

Guess it kinda depends on how fast you think you can lay them in, but I'd think half that, and you'd still be doin great. Just kinda shootin from the hip, but you really don't have that all much to do, don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of work to making it right, etc. gluing caps down, but the majority of the work is in the grade, base.
If there doing all that, why do they even need you? Not trying to be a jerk, but if they can do all the other? just sayin