Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks, its a nicolock brick( which I dont usually use but they had some under that front window that the builder put in so I matched it.) I also re-did the landing in front of the door. its their crab orchard blend, not my first choice with the house but I like the way it turned out
Old 05-15-2012, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

some pics of my first patio designed using software. still ended up changing the placement haha. also my first fire pit/sitting wall combo. used lots of string to keep the random pattern straight. open to criticism...

Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

also had me widen the driveway and add a belgium block curb. Nightmare finding those brick. also they were microscopically larger making for a fun time had by all when we figured it out

Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see something that I frequently see with guys dabbeling in hardscape.

Installing pavers and cutting curves is one thing.

Executing a well thought out design is a whole other animal.

What I see and what I do not like is the corner of the house where the walk comes off the side door and leads behind the dwelling.

At the corner of the dwelling you have what appears to be a 20" to 24" planting bed. Factor in the aggregate shoulder and you're left with 14 to 18 inches of planting space. This is a big no no in terms of landscape archtiecture. House corners should always be *anchored* down, whether its with an upright tree, shrub, grouping of shrubs, etc. Planting beds along the dwelling should never be less than 42 to 48 inches wide. 20 to 24 inches is nothing more than a spinley design accident. You can't plant anything in that space.

I'm not trying to be arrogant, but I am trying to drive the point home. I want my words to be in the back of your mind everytime you sit down and design something. I want you to think "ok, Andrew Hardscape is going to see this, lets show him that I have what it takes to turn out a kick a$$ job".

This goes along with my pet peeve of not using landscape gravel. Gravel is found on the bottom of fish tanks and railroad beds. We have cool plants called perennials. Hardscape guys need to learn to use them.

Also, in a pic I see you have the pavers in place....but the downspout is not connected to any piping routing the water away from the dwelling and pavers? Whats that about?

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 05-15-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The bed is 36" but next time I'll bump it to 48. Homeowners said 2' but i told them 3' haha. Any gravel you see was existing. Unfortunately we had a tight deadline for mothers day and lots of rain and mud. I was sweeping up and they we're setting up for the mothers day party.

As far as the downspout, i need some help. Would you do a drywell under the patio and trust your plate tamper to ensure no settling? Or run 40' of pipe and put it past the patio? I face this often but when there is a bed present like on this job i just leave it. I'm doing my neighbors patio this week and i need to pipe the water somewhere and don't want a call back for settling
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

*in the above job there is no basement and the patio is pitched away from the house
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

water is a hardscape's enemy. Whether it's a patio or a wall. You do not want any water near the hardscape. So if it means trenching and piping 40' of pipe - then thats what you gotta do. The objective is to get the water away. I find we can usually accomplish this in under 20'. We usually daylight the pipe. But sometimes we have had to install drywells.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We normally do drywells around here if it comes down to piping water away. Unfortunately people don't usually want to spend money on something they lived without for 40 years and will never see again (if its working right). I do agree that its a cleaner install though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Still need help with real time, I use it about 5-6 hours a week

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea I'm still learning too. Drawing jobs i already did for practice haha
Posted via Mobile Device