Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

My new JD Z930M

Well I made a comment in another thread about getting a new mower and someone asked for pics. I traded my new to me z820A
that I got back in May with 300 hours on it. The 930 is more comfortable, quicker and more precise in movement with the controls. With 0% financing for 48 months, the price with tax was 9300 dollars which included the suspension seat for 400. After trade in, I signed the papers for 5700.

So here it is, decided to show it off with before and after work pictures.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawsonLC View Post
Well I made a comment in another thread about getting a new mower and someone asked for pics. I traded my new to me z820A
that I got back in May with 300 hours on it. The 930 is more comfortable, quicker and more precise in movement with the controls. With 0% financing for 48 months, the price with tax was 9300 dollars which included the suspension seat for 400. After trade in, I signed the papers for 5700.

Looks good man. I looked at a jd today. Looks like a good mower I just don't know about those stamped decks. Seems like fabricated is stronger but the cut on that is pretty good for as tall as it is.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those 'stamped decks' are pretty tough cookies, and cut like a dream. My next mower may very well be a Deere Z.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Weeds Left Behind View Post
Looks good man. I looked at a jd today. Looks like a good mower I just don't know about those stamped decks. Seems like fabricated is stronger but the cut on that is pretty good for as tall as it is.
I have never understood where the idea that fabbed is better comes from, or what it is based in/on. It makes no sense from a logical viewpoint. I guess maybe because the first commercial mowers came that way, everyone thinks that's the right way.

The 7 Iron is as good as it gets for a commercial mower deck. They are the same thickness of steel as all other commercial ZTR's (I know that BB uses a 5 gauge deck in some models, but I still won't own one), and JD doesn't use a low grade of steel either. There are no welds to fail or break, not near as many corners for grass to collect in. The rounded corners spread the load from impacts (in a similar fashion that a rounded arch in a bridge spreads the load to many points at once (think of the Roman arches).
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawsonLC View Post

Congrats bro! That thing is laying down a nice cut in such tall grass. (I still like the looks of the 2012's like mine better..... Ha!)

Why'd ya take the sheave covers off? I can blow mine clean underneath easy peasey with the BP and I leave mine on all the time. There's plenty of ventilation around the edges for the clippings to be blown out cleanly. Less chance of a stick or rock popping the belt off the spindle pulley with them on too.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I have never understood where the idea that fabbed is better comes from, or what it is based in/on. It makes no sense from a logical viewpoint. I guess maybe because the first commercial mowers came that way, everyone thinks that's the right way.

The 7 Iron is as good as it gets for a commercial mower deck. They are the same thickness of steel as all other commercial ZTR's (I know that BB uses a 5 gauge deck in some models, but I still won't own one), and JD doesn't use a low grade of steel either. There are no welds to fail or break, not near as many corners for grass to collect in. The rounded corners spread the load from impacts (in a similar fashion that a rounded arch in a bridge spreads the load to many points at once (think of the Roman arches).
I guess I never thought of it that way
Old 09-04-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Weeds Left Behind View Post
I guess I never thought of it that way
I have the MOD deck, but will never own another one. It is OK most of the time, but the std deck is a lot better IMO. You won't find a better cutting deck in any and all conditions, especially for here in the north, than the deck like the OP has.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Ridin Green- I think I took the covers off more out of habit than anything, just seems easier to hand clean at times.
There was a few times it loaded up the deck and just came out in a wad (the grass) but for the most part it laid out a nice layer that made it easy to do a blow over with the deck raised up.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I recently cut some very thick field rye with my Z950 that was about the same height (maybe a little taller since it was right at 2') as what you cut. Field rye is some tough stuff with stalks that are about 3/16" thick when it's 2' tall. Even though I have the MOD deck which is more tightly baffled, it cut it and splayed it out extremely well which surprised me a little. I expected it to wad up more than it did. Still, if I could go back and do it again, I'd choose the same Pro deck you have. It is an excellent deck. I had one before this MOD deck. The std Pro deck works great with G6's. They don't stripe quite as well as the OEM high lifts, but they do chop the clippings up better. Besides, it is easy to make a good striper for your deck for only a few bucks.

I see you got the new suspension seat. I have been on them and was going to order one for mine, but just like usual, Deere made a slight change to the 2013's that would require me having to alter my seat pan. I opted for the insert kit instead (which is actually OK by me since my factory seat is so comfortable and soft). I wish I had bought it as soon as I bought the machine. It works great.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post

It comes from the manufacturers who don't have the capability to make a stamped deck! The equipment it takes to stamp large pieces of 7 gauge steel is a major capital investment.