Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paychex offering workers comp........

Anyone switch from the traditional quarterly payments, then pain in the arse audit at end of yr on estimated payroll....to Paychex where they deduct the comp amount each week out of your payroll(no audit crap at end of yr)?! thinking about making the move!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Ditto

I just started to use their payroll service and am concidering the change to their W/C "pay as you go" program and am also interested in any feed back. There has to be a better way than the way I pay W/C today. In this business cash flow is king and I don't want my cash to be tied up for no reason!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Right behind you both on this one. I will be curious on the feedback as well.

I am SICK of WC, sick of it being one rate then suddenly getting a notice our rates are going up (every freaking year) no injuries, feel like we are fighting like crazy just keep our head above water, then on top of that you got scabs everywhere who I KNOW don't pay it. Granted they can't get commercial work without it, but still.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just dumped Paychex after 10 years. The reason workmans comp snafus. The first 2 years they were covering my wife and I as you probably know owners are not covered under workmans comp. so then after a year of arguing and dragging their feet they finally refunded our money.

Then about 6 years later I was reviewing books of another company I was considering buying. Their workmans comp rate was much lower than ours. After a little research we find out they had been charging us a much higher rate, almost double what they should have. So 8 years of charging us too much to the tune of about 30-K Then same BS feet dragging audit waiting for the end of quarter bla bla bla. Then only a two year refund but they dragged their feet for almost a year so long story short we got hosed again.

Now we are with ADP and they have many more member benefits they matched our paychex rates and no nickle and dimeing us for adding/firing employees. They offer free background checks, free direct deposit and employee debt cards they load with your pay. We can also get self directed IRA's they facilitate with fidelity fund groups. Much better deal in my opinion.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Az.....

If your INC. you are an employee of the company. How can you not be covered? Last I heard the comp rates for basic lawncare was aroound $9-$11 on the 100 payroll. What rates were you folks paying to Paychex?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was with pay chex for years then switched too adp, but went back to paychex after only about 2 months. Adp just didn't seem organized to me. I don't run my workmans comp though paychex so I can't speak to that, but I dd have a similar problem with my insurance covering myself even though I should be exempt.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have Paychex now, haven't had there workers comp. I am currently changing my insurance. I went through a audit and it was a pain in the ass, and they end up refunding a lot and even ended up with a credit. That was when I was with Farmers..I'm switching to Erie now...

22 Years Old
10 Years in Business

-Commercial/ Residential
-Full Service.. Lawn Care, Landscaping, Estate Care, Snow & Ice Management

http://www.facebook.com/MMDLC

As of Dec. 2013 College is over and I'm full time!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Geeez... they ALL sound like robbers to me. I am disgusted with the whole WC thing, seems like legalized gambling and the collectors of our industries money seem to always be the winners.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am with Az gardner on this.

Walk --no wait--RUN---as fast as you can AWAY from paychex!!!! Anyone who can read this they will stick it to you anyway they can and if there is a problem they will say "not our fault" If you think you have trouble with your WC that is walk in the park until paychex screws you then you will wish you had your previous troubles. I cant find a word stronger than the soft word of hate and loathing for them.

Anyone who does business with paychex you deserve everything you get from them. You will need the vasaline when they leave you bent over and they wont provide that either.

If you cant tell I dislike them very much.