Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a commercial Toro push mower they are old now but built for abuse or even a commercial lawn boy they too are old now but built to last as well.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
For someone who's asking questions and looking for suggestions, you really are a smart ass....

True statement...

Self employed for over 35 years..
Old 04-14-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
For someone who's asking questions and looking for suggestions, you really are a smart ass....
I am sorry, I get told to hire real men and stuff like that.

I have a dual hydro and a 50" chopper. I get crap about wanting to grab a 21 for the new guys.

So bite my ass.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Trim View Post
Mower in the 32 to 48 range are not that heavy. Plus the larger tires lower the ground psi. A larger mower also has more power to cut if the conditions are not in your favor.

Its always nice to have a bit more now then not enough mower down the road. Buy something that your company can grow into not out of.
Thanks for the thoughtful feed back. I do have a Lesco 36 and it does throw great. Maybe what you say is true about the PSI on the lawn but you can still see big wheel tracks when the ground is moist. This is seen most often on the side yards and around the gate where the wheels track the same areas over and over.

I do plan on cross training folks but bringing on new guys, its nice to get them productive right away. They can learn on the 36 Dual Hydro in open areas on my larger accounts but use these in close quarters later and under optimal conditions.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgold View Post
In his defense, you don't know his business model, his properties, his clients. IT's been mentioned MANY times that what works for SOME people, doesn't work for everyone. He might be the ONE guy in DFW that offers smaller mower care and maybe there IS a market for that. So I wouldn't say he's being a smart ass but he asked a specific question and people are telling him something completely different. Kind of like me asking what the best mid compact car out there is and everyone is saying a crewcab 6.0 Silverado. Just answer what he's asking. I personally LOVE the older JX75 Deere mowers... I bought my mom an electric start HRX honda recently. She says the deere is easier to use, the honda is garbage in TALL grass but the honda starts easier and picks up a lot the JX75 misses.
Brian
Thanks, Many crews do not run 36" on Residentials around here. I get asked about my 36" all the time by some home owners.

I am hiring some new guys without experiance. I am not tossing them on a dual hydro in close quarters around gutters, walls and fences.

We have heavy clay and some clients have complained about compaction, plus I am not putting kid on the pistol Hydro right out of the box before he can learn in open space on my commercial accounts. On those we run the chopper and the 36's.

I just took some offense to people telling me to hire real men. I suppose I could have hired some experianced undocumented workers rather than train a young guy wanting to learn the ropes. I got a little defensive after some of the other remarks.

I know I am not going to run a mulching machine on high grass. I want something for my lawns that need a fine cut that I fully manage. They do not need a reel mower cut but they do not need long clippings on them either.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

The majority of my clients have smaller yards and high expectations. I use Toro 21's and they work great, even on very steep hills. Awesome mowers!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

The ZTR-22 or ZTR-22-SE remote control lawn mower is right up your alley Duke...if you are still reading this old thread.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

All sarcasim and no real answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-trim View Post
why a push mower? Look at something in the 32 to 48 inch range.
this is why i hat this website,nobody gives answers,just thoghts on what they think with no regard to any question asked,every thread is the same,this is a joke-all sarcasim and no real answers
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENWITHENVY1 View Post
this is why i hat this website,nobody gives answers,just thoghts on what they think with no regard to any question asked,every thread is the same,this is a joke-all sarcasim and no real answers
Not to be sarcastic..... but this thread is over 2 months old
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Toro 21" proline mowers are great. I use the crap out of mine and one has had daily use for five years and keeps chugging along. Snapper commercial 21's are a good option are good as well but not built quite as heavy duty as the toros.
Posted via Mobile Device