Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-14-2012, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro Timecutter MX5060

Anyone using one of these? Any comments good or bad would be greatly appreciated. I tried the search feature and didn't come up with anything. Most all my cutting will be residential with most being 1/2 to 3/4 acre lots. Will this machine be able to handle 30-40 accounts per week, and still last 5 years? Around here is Ex Mark and John Deere. My research has pointed me away from JD, and the Ex's are a little out of my budget. What I really want is a Hustler Fast track, but the nearest parts are an hr away. Husqvarna is readily available in this area also, but I have not researched them for depedability and quality. New to the business so I could really use some direction. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

have u looked at ferris
Old 04-14-2012, 04:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I have not looked at Ferris...should I? Im hoping for the best bang for my buck, as everyone else would want. Im not going to rushing into it, I want to make the right decision based on research and the exeriences from this site. I'll take a look at them on your recommendation. Im glad I found this site, its saving me weeks of research.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Member

well if u do end up getting a ferris i would suggest getting a one with a kawasaki in it. sounds like u mite need a 52'' IS1500Z. I have the 48'' and with that i cut a 6acre property in 2 1/2 hrs, also did 8 schools in 12 hrs in one day. i had 13 schools altogether and my ferris never once let me down. Hustler is good very simple design but if u want it to last 5 yrs and parts are hard to come by then..... Exmark is good i hear but too over priced. but dont worry u live in the USA try coming to Canada everything here is like 30 to 50% more. hope this helped......have a good one...eh
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to stay away from the home owners models if you are cutting 30-40. Try to look on craigslist for maybe a slightly used one. Just try to find a commercial unit from exmark, scag, or ferris. The home owners units just wont hold up for 5 years with that much use. Just my two cents. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Gentlemen, I really appreciate your input.

Sancor, I spend alot of time in Canada, spring and fall. Im very familiar with the "Canadian Markup" as I call it. I can usually get by without buying any fuel when up there, making it roundtrip from MN and back. However, the Motels are really killing my recreational budget, they are outragously over priced, even for extended stays. But, I love the "Sunset Country", so I'll be back as long as I can afford it.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag is what everybody around here swears by. I myself prefer BadBoy Mowers for their speed
Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

hey DC, the flying dutch is right. u need that comercial grade thats y i told u about the is1500z. ferris makes a homeowers model that i thinks beats the rest of homeower unit but it dosent have the two cooling fans over the hydro pumps. and ur gonna need that for lots. Ok have a good one feel free to ask eh.