Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Rainman7 Rainman7 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 274
Need voltage drop help

A few years back I installed a unique 24v system on a property due to distance issues. It has been working very well except now the cust wants some lighting down his 400' driveway. I want to use led's which operate between 10 & 17 volts. I have a spare branch off a hub to the furthest point we have lit which I connected it to thinking the voltage drop matpy take care of it but it doesn't...only goes down to 21v. Anyone have an idea how I can bring it down?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Lite4's Avatar
Lite4 Lite4 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,987
Unique makes a "voltage de-hancer" you wire in line for this purpose. I have attached a link to a former thread on this topic:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...tage+regulator
__________________


Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 AM
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting's Avatar
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,971
I would recommend that you ensure the long term operating voltage of those LEDs falls into the middle of their range and not at the top of the range.

This is the first thing I have heard about Unique's 24V "system" in some time. I guess Nate had it wrong when he predicted that 'this LED thing isn't going to go anywhere'. (paraphrasing)

In the long run, I think it would be better to discuss a complete switch over and update to LEDs for your client. This would require a new transformer and a bunch of retrofit LED lamps or new LED fixtures. Having a mixture of 24V lamps and LED product in the same system is not an ideal long term solution.
__________________
James Solecki
INTEGRA ~ Bespoke Lighting Systems ®
JSLDesign Inc.


www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 AM
steveparrott steveparrott is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman7 View Post
A few years back I installed a unique 24v system on a property due to distance issues. It has been working very well except now the cust wants some lighting down his 400' driveway. I want to use led's which operate between 10 & 17 volts. I have a spare branch off a hub to the furthest point we have lit which I connected it to thinking the voltage drop matpy take care of it but it doesn't...only goes down to 21v. Anyone have an idea how I can bring it down?
I wouldn't recommend any of the voltage regulator devices that operate at the fixture - they have a troubled history.

The CAST LED Bullet and Tree Light operate up to 28.8V.
__________________
Steve Parrott
Communications Director
VOLT® Lighting

813.978.3700
stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com



Professional Quality at a Great Price
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
GreenLight GreenLight is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 407
Have you already built this run yet and how many leds/watts are you ultimately going to be pulling off the hub branch?

If you are at 21 volts, empty load from the hub output and you still need to run somewhere from 100-200 feet of wire with 6-8 new leds averaging 3-5 watts per, you could simply use much lower guage wire to exit the hub. For instance, if you came out with 16-18 gauge wire and connected a total of 40-50 watts over the span of a few hundred feet, you can dramatically drop your voltage from that point. You would probably have to avoid daisy chaining because the first few lights would probably still run to hot, but if you made hybrid Tee's that carry multiple lights from a single junction point it's quite feasible.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 AM
steveparrott steveparrott is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
Have you already built this run yet and how many leds/watts are you ultimately going to be pulling off the hub branch?

If you are at 21 volts, empty load from the hub output and you still need to run somewhere from 100-200 feet of wire with 6-8 new leds averaging 3-5 watts per, you could simply use much lower guage wire to exit the hub. For instance, if you came out with 16-18 gauge wire and connected a total of 40-50 watts over the span of a few hundred feet, you can dramatically drop your voltage from that point. You would probably have to avoid daisy chaining because the first few lights would probably still run to hot, but if you made hybrid Tee's that carry multiple lights from a single junction point it's quite feasible.
It would only take a few burnouts of the incandescent lamps to bring your voltage too high. The risk of over-voltage at the LED's (and subsequent failed LED's) is too great in all these approaches. Either spec LED fixtures that will handle the voltage or run a new line to the transformer.
__________________
Steve Parrott
Communications Director
VOLT® Lighting

813.978.3700
stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com



Professional Quality at a Great Price
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 AM
GreenLight GreenLight is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 407
I agree, it's definitely less than conventional and would have a downside if you had unmonitored halogen burnouts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting's Avatar
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,971
Or you could install a new, conventional transformer and replace all of the 24V lamps with LED lamps. This solution would be much less expensive than replacing all of the fixtures with LED fixtures that have relatively high input voltages.
__________________
James Solecki
INTEGRA ~ Bespoke Lighting Systems ®
JSLDesign Inc.


www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 PM
irrig8r irrig8r is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 4,545
Well, I'm not going to take sides while the two forum sponsors battle this one out... except to say that I think Steve's solution might work well for you in your situation. It seems that the folks at CAST saw a niche (systems with higher voltage output transformers that CAST, Unique and even Vista were pushing just a few short years ago) and found a way to fill it.

Either way, run the numbers and see which is the most economical or most profitable, depending on your relationship with your client.
__________________
Landscaper. Irrigator. Illuminator. Music lover. Coffee drinker.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 PM
S&MLL S&MLL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somerset County NJ
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Well, I'm not going to take sides while the two forum sponsors battle this one out... except to say that I think Steve's solution might work well for you in your situation. It seems that the folks at CAST saw a niche (systems with higher voltage output transformers that CAST, Unique and even Vista were pushing just a few short years ago) and found a way to fill it.

Ethereal way, run the numbers and see which is the most economical or most profitable, depending on your relationship with your client.
Great advice.
Only thing i could add is watch for color temps. I have never even seen a 24volt install but at what volt do these lamps run warm. If 21 volts is similar to 10.5 on a 12 casts led might appear a bit on the hot side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.

Page generated in 0.07867 seconds with 7 queries