Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-15-2002, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck Transmission Fluid Change

How often do you change your trucks Transmission fluids being that you are towing a trailer?

My truck I bought new and currently has 17,000 miles on it. Wasn't sure if it's time to do anything to the trans or not.. Thanks,
GaryHow often do you change your trucks Transmission fluids being that you are towing a trailer?

My truck I bought new and currently has 17,000 miles on it. Wasn't sure if it's time to do anything to the trans or not.. Thanks,
Gary
Old 12-16-2002, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I change mine once a year. My brother in law is a mechanic and says its fine . Good enough for me but if you have a new truck you may want to consult your dealer to make sure it satisfies your warranty.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do my super duity every 30k

Phil. 4:6-7
Old 12-16-2002, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

youre in jersey i don't know if you plow...

i definately consider usage over miles. even in tranny fluid, and obviously in oil. tranny, at least at 25 000 kilometres, and less if say a winter was bad. thats reg. for us, not synthetic.

oil we use hours of use, i've done changes at 1200 km, synthetic oil.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 12-16-2002, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

fluid and filter once a year. Even with that there is still a few quarts that stay in the converter.

I would love to change to all synthetic but I cant find a quick lube place that can do it.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Banned

every six thousand miles. the place where we get oil changes only charges us $20. he has one of those vampire machines, where it circulates new fluid in and old fluid out.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:03 AM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
We do a tranmission flush twice a year on work trucks .Spring before season starts and again around september.Trans flush gets all the old fluid out and all new back in
Old 12-16-2002, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MOW ED
fluid and filter once a year. Even with that there is still a few quarts that stay in the converter.

I would love to change to all synthetic but I cant find a quick lube place that can do it.

Try to find a small locally owned shop to do your changes. Where I take mine I bring my oil and filter and they change it for $10. That is the engine oil on my PSD. Dunno what a trans would run. I have a manual and changed that myself. Granted I do all my tire biz there and most other work. I have known the manager there for over 7 years.
And I run Amsoil front to back.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd certainly recommend a good synthetic in the transmission of a work truck. Like Brickman, I run Amsoil front to back in my Dodge. I gained a little fuel mileage when I completely switched over, can comfortably run a little longer between changes, and am confident that the lubed parts will last that much longer. It does cost more, but I think it's worth it.
As far as how often, use the severe schedule in your owner's manual with conventional, and the regular schedule with synthetic would be my recommendation.

Randy
Old 12-16-2002, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I also go for the once a year transmission fluid change. I run dinno oil in the engine but synthetic in the transmission and differentials.

Gravely_Man