Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Arrow Lawn applicators: What spring pre emergent do you use now?

I couldnt fit the entire question into the title, so here it is....

Do you use lawn pre emergent for grassy or broadleaf weeds in your region at all?

What spring pre-emergent crabgrass control do you use these days, and do you do single or split applications? How much effectiveness do you get from whatever product you use these days?

I'm not sure if it's crabgrass that is a problem in the late spring and summer in every region of the US(probably not), and if crabgrass isnt the problem in your area in the late spring-summer, do you use lawn pre-emergents to control something else?

I live in the DE, Pa, Md, NJ area, and I started working in the lawn service industry for a large national company back in 1988-1996, with a 2 year hiatus from 1992-1994. Throughout that time, we did 2 split apps of Team(Benefin+Trifluralin) each spring, and truth be told, it worked well.

Then in about 1996 or so, they began selling Dimension in supply stores, but most still sold Pre-M, Team, etc. I believe Barricade and Tupersan were available at that time too.

Some or most of these products claim to also give pre emergent control of other weeds as well, both grassy and broadleaf, but I've never really been able to see any significant control of anything other than a couple grassy weeds, but mostly crabgrass.

But then they stopped carrying Team, and really started pushing Dimension, claiming it did a better job, and was better for the environment because it used less actual chemical, which is why Dimension is best mixed with fertilizer with a small prill size, for better coverage. Dimension supposedly gives some post emergent control of crabgrass as well. But the conditions needed for it to control post emergently are rare.

I honestly cant say that Dimension put down in split apps does any better than Team around here, and its more expensive. In fact, on some lawns, it seems that Dimension lacks some effectiveness.

But I was recently told by a new dealer that Barricade will do at least as good a job as Dimension with only 1 application, maybe better. But obviously that 1 application would have to be put down at a higher rate than split apps.
If true, that would save money, because I could do the second spring app with only fertilizer.

Whats your pre emergent choice, or do you even do pre emergents? What spring -summer grassy weeds are the problem in your area?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use Lesco pre-emergant.. works really good.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I Use split app Dimension - seems to work well for my area.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use Corral (single application in mid February) to prevent crabgrass here, but the results seem to be about the same as if we used Dimension. Last year, we used Surflan for flowerbed areas, and it seemed to work alright, but we still ended up having to apply a bunch of post-emergence later. As for this year, we're not using Surflan unless we really need to for a specific account.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
We use Corral (single application in mid February) to prevent crabgrass here, but the results seem to be about the same as if we used Dimension. Last year, we used Surflan for flowerbed areas, and it seemed to work alright, but we still ended up having to apply a bunch of post-emergence later. As for this year, we're not using Surflan unless we really need to for a specific account.

We didnt do it often, but I had to apply Surflan liquid a few times here and there back in the 90's, and it was BRIGHT orange! You didnt want to get it on your white shirt! I usually didnt get back to see how good a job it did though until at least 2 months later, so I didnt know how well it worked.

But Treflan granular works pretty well 'IF' applied correctly and evenly. It has the same active ingredient as Preen, but it's about 3 times more concentrated. The ingredient is Triflouralin, and it was/maybe still is used in Team pre emergent crabgrass control.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Dimension, but you really have to hammer prone areas.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillerkiller View Post
Dimension, but you really have to hammer prone areas.

^Aint that the truth!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Split app of team or dimension. Which ever the company can get the best price on. With team you can really see how dusty it is. Gets all over my permagreen and my pants.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One app of Barricade is really a solid route to go. That said, with the REALLY early warm up this year, I am going with split app Dimension. Dimension is SO much cleaner to put down than Barricade, that yellow is just nasty.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been using Dimension for years and have mixed feelings about it. First off, forget about any post-emergent control unless you want to apply it nice and heavy, which you won't be doing at most recommended rates (esp split apps). I've always applied split apps about 2 months apart. On lawns with a history of crabgrass, don't expect complete control in the first year. Otherwise, it's on par with most any other pre-m out there. I've also experimented with Barricade and overall would say I prefer Dimension overall. At least the pesticide inspector leaves me alone when I'm applying it....since it's colorless, he thinks it's straight fert.