Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Question No more P in fert, now no more K! Why no K?

There are good reasons why fertilizer companies have dropped phosphorous from their ferts. One reason is that apparently there is enough P in the soil around our area anyway.

But there's a much more pressing reason to remove it from non-essential lawn fertilizer. The world is literally running out of Phosphorous! Scientists/Geologists say we will mine the last of the world's P supply in about 70 years..... Thats a really big problem, because it is 1 of 3 essential nutrients for plants. Imagine if someone told you the world was running out of Protein. Humans and animals would be screwed! Well, we need P to grow food crops, so I dont know what they'll do in 70 years or less, when they run out of P. Maybe they'll find a way of creating and spreading massive amounts of organic fert onto commercial produce fields.

But anyway, that explains P, but why are many companies now removing K from their fertilizers? I just noticed this about 6 weeks ago when buying some spring fert. The mix was now 19-0-0. I assumed that would make it less expensive, thats what common sense dictates, but greed seems to be overtaking common sense. Not only did the first supplier tell me the fert he carried wasnt going down in price since the Potassium was removed, it actually went up $1.50 per bag! So I went to another supplier, and his was also without K, and his price went down about .50 per bag. WOW, what a savings!

So why is this? Is there a legitimate reason for this, or is it just a way to cut costs? I'd hope that they will compensate for the missing spring potassium by adding K to fall fert, but we'll see......
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Running out of P in aglands, means that we shouldn't be running it all into our lakes and streams and have it end up in the ocean... but that's a DNR political stupidity...
You are aware that most of the P in the soil is still there and isn't going anywhere , correct?
Grass uses more K in the fall in preparation for winter and it is a very motile element within the plant... as a result of that,,, the K from last winter's (winterizer) is still moving around where needed within the plant itself...
On top of that, one should consider , just how much K does grass need and how much K is already in the soils...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Some interesting reading:

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/phospha...ning_out/2423/

http://www.mining.com/2012/04/05/pot...acts-continue/

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Running out of P in aglands, means that we shouldn't be running it all into our lakes and streams and have it end up in the ocean... but that's a DNR political stupidity...
You are aware that most of the P in the soil is still there and isn't going anywhere , correct?
Grass uses more K in the fall in preparation for winter and it is a very motile element within the plant... as a result of that,,, the K from last winter's (winterizer) is still moving around where needed within the plant itself...
On top of that, one should consider , just how much K does grass need and how much K is already in the soils...
You must not have thoroughly read my OP. I said "There are good reasons why fertilizer companies have dropped phosphorous from their ferts. One reason is that apparently there is enough P in the soil around our area anyway."

As far as K, my concern is, if they arent adding it to fert now, then I hope they will be adding it in fall.

I've done soil tests in areas that hadnt been fertilized in recent times, or ever, and the K was low. But I've had soil tests done in spots where fert had been applied within a year or less, and there was adequate K. It might vary from place to place depending upon each situation. I dont know how well K moves about or how fast it leaches away.

I have read and been told that certain, cheaper forms of K arent taken up and used by plants very well or at all. I believe it depends on what form the K is in, or what type of compound it is locked up in.

Its not like N which gets used up quickly or leaches fairly quickly.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

This is another reason NOT to grow corn for ethanol, which even environmental groups have admitted is a dead end, and might be as bad as gasoline in the problems it causes. Ten years ago, South American countries like Brazil who grow huge quantities of corn and run their cars on mostly ethanol, seemed like geniuses ahead of their time. But now we know that ethanol wastes resources like Phosphorous which we are running low on and need for food crops.

But Obama and the Dems dont seem to care, neither does ex-democrat presidential candidate Wesley Clarke. He works as a big lobbyist for huge agribusinesses in America, who send him to the White house to push for tens of billions of taxpayer dollars to subsidize them growing corn for ethanol, even though they dont need the damn money since they are already worth billions of dollars, and ethanol is a bust, but apparently, the dems will or already have given them the money to waste our resources growing corn for ethanol. There are other problems with this too, such as the fact that other farms will grow corn for ethanol, instead of food crops, causing a drop in food crops and higher prices. Thats just the beginning. I thought Dems were the champions of the environment? I guess not........
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Controlling the food supply, controls the ignorant masses... all tyranny, seeks to control the ignorant masses... believing that we can't be subjected to tyranny, only proves that we are ignorant masses...
Agribusiness will never utilize any resource efficeintly as long as individuals in gov't , get money from lobbyists to steal taxpayer funds on their behalf... these same individuals control what the universities can and cannot say, do or teach...
We're from the gov't, and we're here to help...
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought Brazil used sugarcane to make ethanol, which is a 7 to 1 energy output to input, whereas corn is 1 to 1 energy out/in.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarvin4064 View Post
I thought Brazil used sugarcane to make ethanol, which is a 7 to 1 energy output to input, whereas corn is 1 to 1 energy out/in.
That's correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes please refrain from making this yet ANOTHER rag against ethanol.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13