Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dubble blades

Hey all,

Back in the day there was a lot of talk on this side of double blades. Do any of you run Double blades any more? Like a high lift with a gator mulching blade.
Just wanted to know who does it or if they had to stop because of blowing spindles and such. I think it may help with the spring growth.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

We ran the X-blade from Dixie with a G6. It takes a lot of HP to get those blades turning, used twice as much fuel, and had horrible blow out on a Bad Boy Lightning. If you had a diesel or extra HP try it out. The X blade is about $15.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbvfd592 View Post
Hey all,

Back in the day there was a lot of talk on this side of double blades. Do any of you run Double blades any more? Like a high lift with a gator mulching blade.
Just wanted to know who does it or if they had to stop because of blowing spindles and such. I think it may help with the spring growth.
If your machine has electric blade engagement,then you might develop issues with EPTO failures,manual blade engagement works best. For dual blades I run low lift on bottom and top or low lift bottom with G6 on top but the latter of the two really absorbs a lot of HP due the differences in combined masses and fuel consumption is bad. The dual low lifts to me is the optimum combo for my machine providing suburb vacuum for that super clean cut,along with excellent dispersal of fine chopped up clippings.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran doubles on XT33's "back in the day" doing large commercial properties. I liked the high lift doubles or high/gator combo. Lowerd the baffles and still got alot of blow out but that was kinda the nature of the beast. Could handle lots of leaves and wet grass. I experimented with doubles on my Hustler walk behind, but with having offset blades it messed up my mowing heights a bit. Ive thought about getting some straight ones to go with the offsets and that even it out. However I've always been leery of using the added weight of doubles with a electric clutch. I always just made/make sure it engage them a lower speed then bring up the rpm's.