Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

When is it too late to get new accounts?

Hi guys, I'm in Kentucky, and I was just wondering...when is it too late to get new weekly mowing accounts? I just started this year and so far I have 5 weekly accounts. Word of mouth isn't working so great yet, even after starting a referral program that offers existing customers a discount. Also what is your most effective method of obtaining totally new accounts? Fliers, door to door, newspaper, etc,. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey man... It's never to late to pick up weekly accounts.. I just picked one to up last Friday... My was through a newspaper but I have heard door hangers work well but never tried them. Plus they look very professional
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Word of mouth is absolutely the best way to get new customers. Since you just started out and only have 5 accounts, you don't have a whole lot of people talking about you yet, you have to give it some time.

Everyone has things that work for them and tgs that don't you just have to figure that out by experience. Try some fliers or door hangers and a small newspaper ad. I would avoid door to door since most people don't like people coming to their door selling them something (at least that is true around my area) and in my area you need a permit to do door to door sales. I'd just stick with door hangers/fliers and a newspaper ad.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGrassBoy View Post
Hi guys, I'm in Kentucky, and I was just wondering...when is it too late to get new weekly mowing accounts? I just started this year and so far I have 5 weekly accounts. Word of mouth isn't working so great yet, even after starting a referral program that offers existing customers a discount. Also what is your most effective method of obtaining totally new accounts? Fliers, door to door, newspaper, etc,. Thanks.
Its never too late.... Im from PA, and in the winter, i really dont pick up many "new" accounts. I actually have gotten more accounts through the year, mainly because the people figure out that they dont have the time to do it, and finally realize that, mower breaks down, or just simply dont want to do it anymore. But last week a few of us went around some developments and we put a flyer on houses that have not been mowed yet, or have no been mulched yet. so far i got 3 calls.. and got all 3 jobs. now is the time this week for you to drive around some evening scout places out that people have not cut yet, print up a simple flyer and go for it. got nothing to lose.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

i am doing simple flyers as well. I found a couple of nicer neighborhoods that have pretty small yards. I made some $30 mow/trim/blow flyers and went around handing them out or just putting them in the doors. I have had a couple of calls from them and have gotten both jobs. Two other people stopped me as i was mowing and asked for quotes. If you get into some of those nicer divisions that have basically all the same lot size its easy to quote them, may not be top money makers but if you can get 5-6 on a street then you dont have to drive too far. as far as being too late for new accounts, i would say when the snow starts flying, even then i would still take a new account if i could get it
stihl br550 blower
Honda pole edger
mtd edger
6x10 open trailer
echo hc-150
honda walk behind
6x12 enclosed trailer
Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah even if you are only getting 30-40 bucks for a small residential... just think of it as a gateway, offer other stuff to them, and it will hopefully be a gateway to other clients in that development so then U might be in that same area for half the day.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah, the small amount is just mowing. after i mow i start offfering other things like edging, mulching, hedge trimming. If you do a good job most likely you will get the other work. I even have one customer that now pays me to clean her gutters, and i also put together all of her outdoor items she buys, swings, tables. She pays me what i think its worth and now she doesnt need anyone else around her house to to odd jobs. But i have time for that kind of things and maybe some others wont, but it all leads to money.
stihl br550 blower
Honda pole edger
mtd edger
6x10 open trailer
echo hc-150
honda walk behind
6x12 enclosed trailer
Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's never to late. If you get a fall clean up you could sell them on mowing in the spring.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am always looking for new mowing clients and just general work customers. When the lawn boy or guy cutting for beer money closes up shop, they will call the real companies and we can then charge appropriately. Just don't expect them to return the year after, unless you can keep in contact with them through the winter.
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Stihl Handhelds
and American Muscle

www.Platinumlandscapemanagement.com
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've gotten clients 12 months a year. Never to early or late!

A couple years ago I took some good advice that possible only a few will agree with,
Work in neighborhoods on a Saturday....that way everyone passing by has a chance to see you in action. Be sure to have plenty of business cards with you.