Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Try ordering small yard signs to put on the commercial properties to advertise (if the owner allows it).

Good Luck!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Guys, I was laid off from my 70K/yr job back in 08, right at the beginning of the downfall, fortunaly(sp) I was smart enough to see it coming and had started to put a lot of money back before the eventualty came. I hated my job anyway, anybody that has worked in the auto industry will tell you how bad it sucks. I always wanted to have my own landscaping company but was never brave enough to actually make it happen, well I got brave really fast, LOL, Again, it really came out of necessity to make a living, long story short, I started my company on a part time basis while working part time at a retail store for a very small amount of money but it kept me alive while I was out building my business, I'm not married so no one to fall back on there, I did this for two years, last year I had built up a decent amount of customers so I started cutting back the hrs on my PT job to even less than PT, and focusing on my business more and more, I had 12 full time customers last year and other odd jobs that came in as we all know how that goes, well thus far this year I'm up to 33 full time accounts and plenty of other stuff and more coming in everyday, I'm very much surviving on my own now thank goodness, but People tell me that they can tell I love what I do and it shows, my whole point is if this is a field you love, then find a way to make it happen you'll not regret it, I sure don't. I wake up everyday with a smile on my face and a desire to go out and make someone a beautiful yard that they can enjoy.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently make about 120K a year at my fulltime job, and do lawn/landscaping on my days off. I work a rotating 12 shift at my regular job. I want to go fulltime in my business because I spend a lot of time away from my family (working nights/hoildays)...I make good money at my regular job but hate the fact I am always gone....at least working for myself I can have more control of my work schedule and can make my sons games, school events and can be off for Thanksgiving & Christmas for once in their lives.

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I currently make about 120K a year at my fulltime job, and do lawn/landscaping on my days off. I work a rotating 12 shift at my regular job. I want to go fulltime in my business because I spend a lot of time away from my family (working nights/hoildays)...I make good money at my regular job but hate the fact I am always gone....at least working for myself I can have more control of my work schedule and can make my sons games, school events and can be off for Thanksgiving & Christmas for once in their lives.
I hear that Big C! Nice Logo too!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMan View Post

I get a few hedge jobs too but I've been subbing them out to a friend lately. His equipment and labor for $15/hr while I charge $35/hr. I know he does good work too.
Either he isn't much of a friend to you, or you aren't much of a friend to him. I think it is the latter.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody123 View Post
Either he isn't much of a friend to you, or you aren't much of a friend to him. I think it is the latter.
We are both happy with the arrangement so why would that bother you?

And acquaintance is probably the better word. Still, what's it matter to you? What a jerk
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
We are both happy with the arrangement so why would that bother you?

And acquaintance is probably the better word. Still, what's it matter to you? What a jerk
Does your "buddy" know how much you are billing his work at? If he does and he is "happy with the arrangement", he must have a developmental disability.

I would think common decency would make one wonder why they deserve 60% of the hourly rate when the other guy is supplying all of the labor and equipment for 40%. At the very least a fair arrangement would be flipped.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I am just starting out on my own, I work for a landscaper part time and do it on my own part time.

I have 9 accounts right now almost all bi-weekly, but I have only been doing it for 2 weeks on my own. I have bought some equipment: Husqvarna 150BT, Echo GT-200r, and 2 21 inch mowers one snapper and one lawn boy they are not commercial but they get the job done for now, and I have a few other back up stuff

I am a graphic designer and work for my uncles company part time, I need more money for better equipment so if anyone is looking for a website face lift to help clean up their online presence I am your guy (message me to see my work) You would be getting a great deal and save a whole lot of money
Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody123 View Post
Does your "buddy" know how much you are billing his work at? If he does and he is "happy with the arrangement", he must have a developmental disability.

I would think common decency would make one wonder why they deserve 60% of the hourly rate when the other guy is supplying all of the labor and equipment for 40%. At the very least a fair arrangement would be flipped.
he makes $12/hr in a factory and is tickled to death about $15/hr cash from me. Why do I make that much? I am the one paying for advertising, the reputation of my business, and have all the contacts. As for "all his equipment", he has some residential electric hedge trimmers and his old beat up truck.

Would it make you feel better if I hired my nephew for $10/hr and he used my trimmers? Or did the same and borrowed one of my uncle's workers and paid $9/hr? Jesus dude, if you have an ax to grind, grind it somewhere else. He's happy with his extra money, I'm happy, and the customer was happy. That's all that matters.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
he makes $12/hr in a factory and is tickled to death about $15/hr cash from me. Why do I make that much? I am the one paying for advertising, the reputation of my business, and have all the contacts. As for "all his equipment", he has some residential electric hedge trimmers and his old beat up truck.

Would it make you feel better if I hired my nephew for $10/hr and he used my trimmers? Or did the same and borrowed one of my uncle's workers and paid $9/hr? Jesus dude, if you have an ax to grind, grind it somewhere else. He's happy with his extra money, I'm happy, and the customer was happy. That's all that matters.

Take it with a grain of salt bro. I'm with you on this one...if you're happy and your "bud" is happy, F--- the rest of them!