Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Can someone steel my Mother-in-Law too

In light of having my Stihl trimmer stolen, there is a funny side to all of this.

I've been having issues with my trimmer for about 2 month now, and after picking it up from the dealer after being in several times, I was going to take it home and parts it out. I had it sitting on my trailer when I went in to Subway to pick up lunch. I had my mother-in-law with me that I had just picked up from her house... When we got back to my house, while eating lunch with my wife, she said that someone barrowed my trimmer from the trailer. (15 min after we got back to the house...nice!) While I was in Subway, a van pulled up next to my trailer and 2 guys got out.. one walked into the Subway and the other picked up the trimmer, next to 2 other trimmers, an edger and a blower.. All the while, my mother-in-law watched him. She assumed that I knew them. I told her that I didn't give anybody permission to barrow anything and went and checked the trailer. After checking the trailer, sure enough, a trimmer was missing. This is the funny part... out of the 5 peices of equipment on the trailer, they took the one that didn't run. 2 days later, it showed up at the repair shop for "repair"

The mechanic, a friend, called me up and asked me why I took the trimmer back to be repaired, knowing it was going to cost more than it was worth... I started laughing and said that it was stolen off the trailer 2 days ago. we got ahold of the police and gave them the information and set something up.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

after getting things set up for the next day, the shop called the number on the ticket and said that it was under warrenty and that it was going to be replaced with a brand new unit and they needed to pick it up by closing that day to do the paperwork because the warrenty ran out that day. They said that it would take them about before they could be there. As the police waited, I was across the street and saw one of my former employee's go in with his friend.. They had just started a lawn mowing service a week ago and they had asked me the day before for any equipment I might be able to help them with. I had told them I would let them use an Exmark 52" that I had sitting since I bought a new mower a month ago, they were to come by and pick it up that same day!
I was shocked to see that this was the person who stole my trimmer! I was even more shocked that they had asked me for equipment, knowing that they had just stole from me. And that if my mother-on-law saw it happen and didn't say anything to me right away, or to them when it happened.

Anybody want a mother-in-law?

This happened while I was working in South Carolina 12 years ago.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great story! 12 years ago, Huh? What a Mother in law...

I was wondering though, are you still married to the same girl?
- Cause you know what they say? > "The nut doesn't fall far from the tree".

Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Man, that's a funny story!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Member

yes, we are still together.. 10 years now married. I keep telling my wife that she is more and more like her mother every day.... But she is realy a great person...just her family has a strange way of showing respect and gratitude.