Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Help with my personal lawn

I'm going to be getting into lawn care business and want to first try my hand at fixing up my lawn first. I have a plan and want to see what everyone thinks of it, any advice is welcome. A little info on the yard, its 16,000 ft^2 and doesn't seem to be doing all that good; I've checked and the PH its something like 5-5.5. I see almost no insects or worms in the soil anywhere. You can tell that's its more sandy and compacted than it should be. Grass doesn't grow fast or at all really other than a few clumps here and there. I'm new to everything here so I just wanted to go over my strategy for my yard this year. Its been neglected for too many years to count so I know its going to take some time to get it back. The yard is almost 50/50 moss and grass, its really sad.

My plan is to spread 40lbs of lime per 1,000 ft^2 (I believe 50lbs is max you normally want to do at one time), I would then aerate and top dress the lawn with compost at a 1/4 inch layer. After that I plan to use an organic fertilizer 5 times during the year to keep the grass green and growing. Depending on how everything looks I'd lay down another load of compost again during fall. With all this I plan to re-mulch everything as well as edge and trim but those are standard along with regular mowing.

If you have anything to add please let me know as I'm new to this and want to make sure I'm going about this all correctly.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Before you start throwing Lime and other stuff on your lawn do you have any idea of what you soil quality is first? Usually your area will have about the same type of soil so I would recommend wither asking someone in the business (in your area) how they would treat the lawns in that area and then do parts of the lawn (maybe in the backyard) with different treatments so you know what may work best for you. Also try different products that maybe others in your area are using and see which ones work best for your. Liquids or granular treatments.

Just my two cents
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes I have a good idea of the quality of my soil by just walking around and looking at every section of the yard, while no I haven't had any tests more than a PH (which was 5.5 and from what I hear its takes like 50lbs per 1,000 ft^2 to move it up .5). But I do know that there aren't any worms in my soil and I know there use to be, also the lawn is almost half moss. So from those few things I've picked up what I need to do to my soil. I do plan on having sections of the yard tested by Uconn as its only I believe $8 per sample. I appreciate the response and suggestions and hope that other people will pop in and let me know what they think. I will try different products but so far the selection is either limited or expensive. Again thanks for the reply!!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do a proper site soil/plant/hydrozone audit and get the soil tested by a reputable lab. That is the only thing you need to be concerned with right now. Further, what you heard about liming rates is wrong.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Before you do anything, how about telling us where you are located and what type of grass you have! Different areas with different types of turf; southern grasses are not the same as northern grasses.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm located in CT, from what I see I have fine fescue and ryegrass; I have moss everywhere that the grass isn't which is 50% of the lawn. I understand I need a soil test, I'm going to get one done soon. I wouldn't mind over seeding the lawn anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Do a proper site soil/plant/hydrozone audit and get the soil tested by a reputable lab. That is the only thing you need to be concerned with right now. Further, what you heard about liming rates is wrong.
If you wouldn't mind can you elaborate on the liming rates a bit more?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldaggerl View Post
... You can tell that's its more sandy and compacted than it should be. ....
sandy AND compacted indicates that your knowledge of soil texture and soil structure could use a brushing up... organics is all about the soil and you should start there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldaggerl View Post
... My plan is to spread 40lbs of lime per 1,000 ft^2 (I believe 50lbs is max you normally want to do at one time), I would then aerate and top dress the lawn with compost at a 1/4 inch layer. After that I plan to use an organic fertilizer 5 times during the year to keep the grass green and growing. Depending on how everything looks I'd lay down another load of compost again during fall. With all this I plan to re-mulch everything as well as edge and trim but those are standard along with regular mowing.

If you have anything to add please let me know as I'm new to this and want to make sure I'm going about this all correctly.
without a good reason to aerate, I'm not sure you're doing anything correctly...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
sandy AND compacted indicates that your knowledge of soil texture and soil structure could use a brushing up... organics is all about the soil and you should start there...

without a good reason to aerate, I'm not sure you're doing anything correctly...
My thoughts exactly. I am glad you are trying to learn, as you should, but why would you waste $ on seed for it to germinate and die. Fix the lawn before you seed. You are on the right track with getting a soil sample. Post the results and guys like smallaxe as riggle will be able to really help, assuming they are willing. Why dont you call a local company and see if they will give you some advice, it may be go, may not be, but you will have something. Until somebody on here sees your property, sees a soil report, accurately identifies your soils' structure, then we can not adequately help you. Not trying to be rude, just strait with you