Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Another advantage..

I am about to graduate as Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant, and will be going straight through to be a full OT before too long. I also have a lawn/landscaping business that has gotten me through school and will probably/HOPEfully keep paying off those student loans on the side
I have already started developing a little paresthesia, especially in my right hand, which is a bad sign for carpal tunnel. All of the vibrating equipment in our industry not to mention the precarious angles we have to work with are just bad news in the way of our chances to develop injuries from overuse/etc. My professors use me as an example/guinea pig all the time because I think I'm the only student we have who has been doing hard manual labor (lawn/landscaping, logging, commercial fishing, etc)

I haven't personally got to try out any of these battery operated Stihls, but I've defintely taken a good look at them (all my peripheral equipment is Stihl). I assume that the vibration is taken down to zilch compared to the gasoline engines, and this could save big $$ on possible surgeries or other therapy services that a guy might need to go through from all of the power equipment usage. Also, you get to feel your 1-3 fingerstips for the rest of your life, which is a plus, haha, not to mention all of the other pain associated with CTS.

Also- it looks like nobody has considered the cost of oil mix? I use stihl's ultra-mix, which makes my 2-stroke fuel cost around 7$ per gallon

and on a side-note, just picked up a "used once" Stihl ms 362 for 500 bucks, and I am a HAPPY man!!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

A little more info

As much craziness as I jump into, I am always a safetey nut when it comes to work, mostly because I like to see other people be safe. This is a really good source to be educated on what carpal tunnel is, and you'll start to get an idea of how to protect yourself from it. Scan through the different sections on the left hand side of the page, especially the definition and prevention sections. If you're an employer, you'll definitely want to take a look as this because we all know how much we treasure a good worker that we would never want to lose due to injury.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/car...CTION=symptoms

A quick tip that they don't tell you on the site is to take an (1/2 reg dose) ibuprofen right before and right after work. Unless you're a big old boy, then you can prob take 2. This will help to keep the swelling down in the nerve tunnel that you never realize is there from the vibration, which will reduce friction of the nerves etc. Stay healthy!!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can see a place in the market for battery powered equipment. The first would be for an eco-minded mowing setup.

The next would be for tools that see use on smaller projects.

Third option would be wiring up an inverter to power the charger in truck. You can keep a battery on the charger and two others at the ready.

There is a potential for cost savings. It looks like a viable option for moving away from gas powered equipment.

IMO there are some areas where running gas powered would give an advantage.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

roberthathaway7-

switch over to Amsoil Saber, and you can cut your oil costs down by an enormous amount. It also increases the power of your machine noticably, and the smoke is almost non existant. There are several threads here on that subject, and I posted a whole lot of breakdown data in one of them, but I don't have a link for you to that thread right now.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll definitely look into that, Ridin Green. At least for my hedge trimmers. They're awesome but the smoke it produces is just AWFUL. I could knock a maggot off a gut wagon the way I smell after running those things. Been like that since they were new, and they've always ran great.. they just stank!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One problem the electric trimmer solves is how to deal with ethanol in 2 strokes. No more carb issues.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

By using battery commercial trimmers, Are we really going green? I think not There somewhere is a coal fired power plant which makes up 90% of are electric produced in this country.. I think it would be better to use natural gas or lp. it cheaper

Bottom line everything uses some type of energy there is no such thing as going green! just because you think I use batteries you think your helping the environment but 80 miles there a power plant burning more to charge your trimmer.

even if you use a pair of hedge scissors some where in china a plant that produces them is burning more fuel such as coal. don't' be fooled!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, I definitely agree, there's no way to technically even know how green you're going unless you trace the carbon footprint back to the beginning of time. I always thought the electric car idea was hilarious when it came to "going green". BS!! Every coal company was DROOLING over the idea of electric cars!! Which I'm ok with, personally I think we should burn all the coal we can get our hands on as long as we're always seeking more efficient and environmentally friendly ways to do it and still seeking out more renewable energy resources. The cool thing about depending on this electricity though- is that we are depending on our own natural resources a little more rather than foreign oil, creating jobs and so on. I realize there are other points of view out there so I don't mean to start some crazy arguments, I promise to not even reply is someone tries to argue. BUT- I was going to say: nothing wrong with letting people decide to think you're "going green" it's always positive for business! As far as me going green: safety, effectiveness and efficiency! that's my working motto! going green is just a by-product
Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

So what am I supposed to do with my 4 Stihl trimmers I have now. I think in 10 years when the last one dies. I will maybe switch to pulling my bubble powered mowers around behind a prius and mount an eco friendly trimmed rack on top of the bubble powered prius. That of course by then will work with battery powered or bubble powered stihl trimmers.
12 x 7.5 open trailer
2011 35 HP Scag T.T.
2010 27 HP Ferris Evolution
2007 Ferris 3100z
2006 2703 Dixie Chopper
2005 honda push mower ( honda engines best ever)
3 Stihl Trimmer's
3 Stihl Blower's
2 Stihl Chain Saw
1996 Ford Ranger ( wont die ) 275,000 miles
Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting thread. For those of you that are concerned with the charging issues, there are adaptors you can buy that plug into your cigarette lighter and they will convert to 120v and you should be able to charge the batteries from your vehicle while you're using the other battery on an account.