Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Tear out job advice

Hey all,

Had a question regarding a rather large tear out job that I am currently building an estimate for. Essentially, my customer is looking to wipe her beds clean and free of existing shrubs and ground cover. Now, the bushes I can handle easy, but the open ground and pachysandra has got me wondering a bit. I could really use the advice of a professional with some more experience here, as I have a few similar jobs lined up for later in the season.

I've never really had a job of this magnitude, so my first question is: how would you go about clearing the beds of the old/dead growth? I don't have a backhoe, so I was considering the possibility of renting a sod cutter, and simply cutting down 2 - 4 inches into the ground and removing the refuse, one inch layer at a time. The greater question that is linked to this problem is, how do you typically clear swaths of bed space (in this case, I'm looking at well over 600sq.ft. of bed space)?

My next question regards the pachysandra, the stuff of nightmares. What do you believe is the most effective way to remove pachysandra, especially considering the amount of area we have to cover (approximately 420 sq.ft. of the stuff surrounding this house)? My thoughts were to nuke the area with the heaviest duty spray killer I can get my hands on, which so far has been the Heavy Brush/Poison Ivy killer by Ortho. I'd spray it one-two times over a 14 day period to try and kill the root system, and then removing 3 - 4 inches layers depth of soil with a sod cutter (after having cut back the hopefully now dead pachysandra). Any advice here on my thoughts or a better technique would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached some pictures to give you a good idea of what I'm dealing with here... Thank you very much in advance.

- Marinucci
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Im not sure if that would work to kill the packy. Stuff is ruthless. Best just digging it out. Comes out like a carpet in one or a few big chunks.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call utility to locate all lines in the area
Start by cutting down and digging out the shrubs
Mow down the pachysandra as low as possible with Lawn mower or string trimmer.Remove all debris.
Then get the sod cutter and remove the area

Be careful with the chemical