Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2002, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used milorganite on my own lawn last year, as a test to see what it would do. My lawn was SO green, everyone had to ask about it. It looked excellent.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

did you add it to a synthetic program or did you only use milorganite? How much did you apply?

thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use it on turf in spring down here. It has a lot of iron which promotes green. Also, will promote rapid growth of turf. It is fantastic for starting landscaping and annuals. The only down side I see is the flash growth that could happen in summer. Down here some of our grasses grow about 6" a week. It is always wet as it rains about an inch daily from mid June till mid October. You don't want to put anything down here that promotes alot of growth. Some shrubs need pruned weekly so we are careful with them.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Banned

Natural organic fertilizers are derived from things that were once living... seaweed, kelp, soy, feather meal, blood meal, etc. These things have very low N contect as compared to Synthetic organics which are not derived from once living things. Synthetic organics are things like SCU, MU, IBDU, PCU, etc. They are basically WIN which are not derived from once living things. Salts are forms of elements which are readily available once applied. These are compounds such as DAP, and urea. Even though urea is a Natural organic, it functions like a salt, so therefore it is a salt.

By spiking Nat Org fertilizers with Salts and Synthetic Organics, you are decreasing the amount of material you have to apply, because you are increasing the N content of the fertilizer. It still gives you the benefits of Nat Orgs, but with the additional benefit of having less material to apply. If you see a Nat Org fertilizer advertising any more N content than 12% it is spiked. 12% is a high ratio for Nat Orgs. I know that that number is derived from some soy product and is rather costly.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of your customers ever complained about the odor?? I have heard it also works as a deer repellant.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is definately an odor that is sensed by wildlife. While it may repel deer, it also can be an attractant. We had to quite using it on some golf greens some years ago, because the raccoons would dig up the greens trying to find the source of the odor.

Doug Austreim
Austreim Landscaping