Register free!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Permagreen fleecing

I just ordered a replacement throttle cable for my Ultra. I've ordered them before so am very aware of how small the package is that they come in. They coil it up and put it in a zip loc bag so it's not big. Well anyway I just got the bill from them and about crapped. The part was $23 and I figured it was something like that but the shipping charge was $17!

I couldn't believe it. I called up and asked what the deal was? It was not shipped priority or anything. It came in a padded envelope so you get the idea of it's size. All the lady could say was "well we charge a processing fee and then shipping as well." I said really though. I just had some tine rake springs sent to me in a small box and the shipping was $8. She says "well you do live in Montana and it's far away". I was furious. I get stuff shipped all the time and am very aware that heavier items are going to be more and that really I'm not going to get anything shipped too me for under $8.

I have never been charged that much shipping and handling from them before but apparently that is their policy. I think it's a crock of crap. I'm tired of the local dealers and stunts like this that continue to add on all these additional costs. My local dealer does the same. You could call on a part and have them get you a price and when you show up they tell you another price because of frieght. They had the item in stock! And besides don't tell me one price and then when I show up add on a shipping charge. You don't get that at Napa, Orielly's or any other parts store. Special order items I expect it.

Anyway just blowing steam. I think Permagreen is charging an over the top amount for shipping and handling. I can't believe they expect us to think that we never ship or recieve anything and that we aren't aware of actual costs. I guess I'm just glad that when my wife orders a shirt from JC Penny and it comes in a padded envelope that it doesn't cost $17 for shipping
2 Walkers
2 Toro Z Masters
1 Scag Tiger Cub
1 Lastec 28hp 61"
Trucks, trailers, and lots of trimmers, blowers
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. Brother I feel your pain. Maybe it's just our state. The price we pay to get away from it all? Where in MT are you? I lived out east (Ohio) before moving out west to my wife's stomping ground. I experience the same thing all the time buying stuff. I chalked it up to be spoiled in Ohio. I dealt with mower dealers there bigger than our car dealers here. You got to demo most anything for the day and if you asked nicely they might even deliver it to you. When you brought yours in for service you got a loaner. They stocked 90% of anything you needed and didn't charge shipping unless they included a small fee in the price. Shipping rarely came up. I've been running Hustler and until recently purchased all my parts from a dealer in PA. Here they didn't have it in stock, they'd take a day or more to figure that out they need to order it from the distributor. The distributor is so weak that they don't have it either (and they cover something like four states) so they have to order it. So they charge me shipping to the distributor, shipping to the dealer, shipping to me (dealer is 1.5 hrs away) and charge me full retail. I call PA dealer (who happens to be a distributor also) and have it faster and cheaper. Just recently the PA dealers prices have gone up.

Looking at it from a dealer standpoint I can somewhat understand. They have very little sales here and can't risk the overhead. The thing that really gets me though is the desire to be helpful. They act like they're doing use a favor and we're crazy to ask all our questions to find out about a item that they'll tell you they'll never have to demo. So put down the cash and shut up about it. They'll see what they can do in there own time.

I see you run Walkers and I do have to say that the dealer here in Kalispell is the closest thing to a good dealer for commercial that we have in the valley.

If you're in the market for another spreader/sprayer look at the LT Rich Zsprays. I'm very impressed. If your not too far away you're welcome to demo mine.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pg has been zonking me this year hard on shipping rates too

i ship alot of electronics, tvs etc.. in my other busi so i have a good knowledge on shipping weights and prices, so i fully understand
they are merely padding their wallets
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I just ordered some parts from them. ( I am in Indianapolis). I was happy with the overall price but will wait to see the breakdown. I used to sell a lot on ebay and always charged a handeling fee. The least of my worries was the Post office charge. Packaging and going to the danged Post office was much more of a big deal. It is hard to swallow but I really try to support smaller companies. I HATE the big box retailers (Orielly,etc) . I would rather spend a few extra dollars and support an American company. However $17 does seem a bit excessive. Perhaps the $5.95 shipping plus $5.00 handeling fee? It costs money these days to keep the doors open.

They don't charge me when I call and keep john on the phone for 10 minutes asking questions (thank goodness!)

Just my thoughts.

Z
Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't deny them to make a little money on all the parts they have to keep on hand for us, and the skilled talent they have to keep on the payroll at Permagreen to help us with our orders. They are good about finding the problem and sending out parts right away--and you know it will fit. They already know your model number. They have advice on how to install it. John will always help--he is good.

On the other hand if you are cheap like me. Maybe $1.99 would suit you better.
http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?...archButton.y=7

Server is so slow again today. I will come back next week.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps PG is padding their fees cause LT Rich and Turfco (and perhaps Ground Logic) have been ripping into their market share for a while now?
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post
pg has been zonking me this year hard on shipping rates too

i ship alot of electronics, tvs etc.. in my other busi so i have a good knowledge on shipping weights and prices, so i fully understand
they are merely padding their wallets

i kinda feel bad about my post,
PG has treated me pretty well over the years, they have even
sent me some free parts on several ocasions
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Way to man up! I get frustrated sometimes when I can't get right through to John, but can you imagine trying to get such accurate help from another company?

I am very impressed and will try to remain with perma on my next spreader/sprayer.

Z
Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess my beef is that the shipping and handling rates are crazy high. To have a employee tell me that it is expensive because I live in Montana is insulting. They didn't deliver it on horseback crossing mountain ranges. They threw the cable in a padded envelope and shipped it.

It is what it is I guess. I just feel they should be more open to the customer about the "true cost" before completing the order.
2 Walkers
2 Toro Z Masters
1 Scag Tiger Cub
1 Lastec 28hp 61"
Trucks, trailers, and lots of trimmers, blowers
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ahh Permagreen, yes they do fleece, quite heavily in fact.

I don't mind paying a little more to help them out. But $35 for a $10 dollar pulley is no good. $1000+ for a $600 engine is again not happening. $1000+ for a $600 dollar tranny nope try again.
ThEy are taking advantage of people with these silly prices.

Sure they may be nice people but that doesn't really matter when you can't get in touch with them.

It's sad really as it seams they really brought the whole ride-on thing to where it is. But I definitely wouldn't be buying any of there stock. Turfco, Lt Rich seem to be dominating in new sales.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Greenery; 04-22-2012 at 01:05 PM.