Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Integrated or Separate

I am in the marked for a ZTR to cut my 3 acres. Don't need anything monstrous, currently cut with t 6 year old craftsman tractor 54" 24hp briggs. Takes about 1hr 40 min. All pretty wide open. I am very interested in the Ferris Is500z. Looks like a great machine, sans the briggs motor everyone bags on. Current briggs intek motor has 200+ hours and has been flawless so far. Was also looking at Toro, Gravely and yes bad boy. Trying to stay south of $6,000 and don't really want used. I see the difference in drive system between Ferris and these others listed. Ferris has the separate pumps and wheel moters where everyone else has the integrated like the hydro pump 3100 or something similar. Which is a better system?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

You are currently in the same spot I was in at the beginning of March as I was trying to decide the right ZTR for my needs. To address your specific question take a look at the machines the pros are running. I believe you will find they will all have separate wheel motors. As you continue to evaluate mowers it will become a difficult task to decide what do you buy. You will find most most mowers in the same price range have similar features. The key is to chose a dealer that you believe has a good reputation for helping his customers.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Did you end up buying anything?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agree that all have seperate wheel motors. It would be hard to make a true ZTR without. How else could one be going forward and the other reverse at the same time without some complex gearing, plus being slow to shift ect.

Most have one pump, I understand some have two pumps, one for each motor.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Agree, but I think my question was misunderstood or not worded well on my end. For instance it seems alot of ztr's are using the Hydro Drive 3100, 3400 or 5400 systems where the pump and wheel motor are basically all one unit. At least this is what I understand. If you look at the Ferris models specifically, the pumps sit up on top of the frame while the wheel motors are a completely separate component. So the question is, which is a better system. I can see how the latter would have more oppurtunity for leaks because of the fluid lines to and from. Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfranzen View Post
Did you end up buying anything?
Yep, a Toro Z500 and a Gravely Compact Pro! Very happy with both so far!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

cfranzen, I just sent you a message.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I run the big stuff and am looking to buy another new one now. At this point I don't think integrated or separate makes a difference. My Hustler Super Zs are separate but Bad Boy, Husqvarna, Gravely, and many other are integrated and are at the same level of commercial quality. The only one that really stands out is the new Hustler Super Z. If you have time they have good videos explaining their hydro system which is now way overkill, but this is on their 13k flagship not in their mid line mowers.