Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

any hustler x-one reviews?

Anyone bought one of these? I'm considering adding or trading in my super z with another mower. Been looking at the x-one and the only difference I can see is the wheel motors. I don't have any lawns that I can go 15+ mph and most likely will only put 1500 or so hours on a machine before I trade it. This all depends on when the "wear and tear" repairs begin. I don't like down time for repairs since I only run 1 mower now. If I had 2 my plan may change.

Since there is such a price difference between the x-one and super z wonder if the x-one will hold up and last as well as teh super z. I'm not picky on mowers. I've run an exmark lazer hp and hustler super z and liked both equally well. I seem to compare more now to get the best value for my dollar.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a brand new x-one. bought it end of last year. i love it. it is just as well built as a super z. just smaller hydro system and smaller wheel motors. the x-one is heavier duty than the scag wildcat the it replaced. much smoother mower too.

i think you will be just fine. i was going to buy a super Z when i was looking but i had never used hustler before that. i demoed both and liked both. but i bought the X-one becasue the demo was for sale with 12hrs on it. i got it 4k less than the super z which worked out well in case i didnt like it for the long haul. i love the xone though i would not hesitate to buy another hustler.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I purchase my X one late fall of this year I think. It has roughly 300 hours on it now so it is broken in and I can say that I do really think it is a good machine. I would like a new super with the new hydros but they do not make them in a 48 anymore so I had to go with the X one....I can honestly say I am not disappointed. It may not go 15 mph but it can book along at a good rate when you need it too. The new deck is a discharge machine at least on southern turf.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 60" with 31hp kaw. If I'm just mowing/mulching, works great. With a bagger and JRCO rake on it, will struggle some on hills. Overall a very nice machine.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT View Post
I have 60" with 31hp kaw. If I'm just mowing/mulching, works great. With a bagger and JRCO rake on it, will struggle some on hills. Overall a very nice machine.
Kaw has changed the rating method on their hp. I believe you have the FX850V which is now more accurately rated at 27 hp. down from 31 hp. It's the exact same engine just a more accurate rating system. Not that this helps since it looks like it is the largest engine available on the X. How many hrs. do you have on it? Just checking if the engine is broken in yet. I would think it should have enough power. I posted on your other thread and my 24 hp Honda on my early 60" SZ would do anything I'd throw at it. Maybe not full speed or with any extra power but it would do it. I was under the impression the X had the same pumps and motors as the earlier SZs.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

super z

I just traded in six 2-year old super z's this spring on 6 new ones with the Kaw. FX1000 engine and I am impressed with the power difference between the two as well as how much smoother they are to run. The new design with the throttle cable and handle are much better as well. I run the rear discharge decks on all 6 of them, and love them. In my opinion, Hustler is the only way to go, at least untill I am proven otherwise. Im glad to see more and more guys trying them.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

super z

I just traded in six 2-year old super z's this spring on 6 new ones with the Kaw. FX1000 engine and I am impressed with the power difference between the two as well as how much smoother they are to run. The new design with the throttle cable and handle are much better as well. I run the rear discharge decks on all 6 of them, and love them. In my opinion, Hustler is the only way to go, at least until I am proven otherwise. I'm glad to see more and more guys trying them.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jay you got any pics of stripes on your rear discharge decks. Can you tell me more about them. Thanks
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Any reports of G/Hr on the big Kawi's?

Any likes or dislikes between the old SuperZ's and the new ones?

As for the X-One....

They could use more fuel capacity.

And aren't the front caster forks thinner on the X-One compared to the Supers?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

super z

Jabbers
I don't have any pictures yet. But I will get some the beginning of May. Only about 5 percent of what we manage is residential. The other 95 percent is Commercial areas none of which is irrigated. We manage 150+ acres at one site for the Government including campgrounds and open grass areas at one of South Dakota's Dams. This site is mowed every 7-10 days and when mowed the rear discharge decks leave very little if any windrows of grass. We used to use two Commercial Jacobsen Hr-5111 mowers and 4 hustler super z's here but the hustlers were out mowing the 11' wide mowers, so we quite with the Jacobsens and got 2 more hustlers 2 years ago. The Jacobsen HR-5111 have rarely been used since. They are for sale if your interested.
We also have around 180 sites that get mowed anywhere from 4 to 10 times during the season. These areas are for electric cooperatives and rural water districts. The grass at these sites can reach 1-2 feet tall during the spring and early summer mowing's. We used to mow these areas with a 60hp tractor with a 6' bush hog rotary mower and clean up the tight areas with a zero turn. That tractor has now sat and seldom used in the last 6 years since we stared with the hustlers and rear discharge deck. two 72" hustlers would out-mow the tractor and one zero turn, and leave the area looking much better. The rear discharge decks cut and allow the tall grass at those sites to escape quickly. Two of the blades turn one way and the third blade turns the opposite so that all are pushing the grass out to the rear. The overall look at these sites is no where near that of a residential lawn, but does look very good for having mowed such tall grass.

TLS,
There were quite a few changes to the new super z's. The hydraulic setup is different, allowing it to keep it cooler. The deck guide wheels are now recessed into the deck which protects them more. I took all of the off of our old hustlers because we would tap stumps etc. at the commercial sites and knock them off and end up mowing them up in the tall grass. The throttle cable and handle are much beefier than the old design. The old ones were flimsy and week and felt like they were going to bend when throttled up. We were previously trading in 3 of our mowers every year so that no mower was over 2 years old. so that they would still be in the 2 year warranty. The new super z's have a 3 year warranty on the machine and a 5 year 3000 hrs warranty on the hydraulic pumps and motors. They also upgraded belts blades etc. My original reason for trading all 6 this year was so that all my machines match and they all use the same blades, belts, filters etc. That way my parts inventory is all the same, not for 2 or 3 different machines.
We are still just starting the mowing season here, but the little that I have used the new Super Z so far, it is more machine that the older model. The new upgrades and changes have definitely made the mowers even better.