Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

So just water it a lot? When should I look at putting down some weed preventer or something?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, just water it a lot. Don't even think about weed preventer until fall. and that is for next year's weed's.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be prepared to pull weeds by hand this season.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look carefully at the pictures--did you water it all the same? Then why are some pieces of sod brown and some green? I suspect the sod was not laid the same day as it was cut. Some pieces of sod were perhaps not in good shape when it was laid. Did it get dry before it was laid?
The last picture is the most important. How come one of the sod pieces in the center is brown only at the end of the roll where it was exposed to the most drying? Did those green and healthy pieces in the background, along the fence come off the top of the pallet, or off the bottom?

Is it just my eyes, or are the edges more brown than the center of the strips of sod.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-18-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Look carefully at the pictures--did you water it all the same? Then why are some pieces of sod brown and some green? I suspect the sod was not laid the same day as it was cut. Some pieces of sod were perhaps not in good shape when it was laid. Did it get dry before it was laid?
The last picture is the most important. How come one of the sod pieces in the center is brown only at the end of the roll where it was exposed to the most drying? Did those green and healthy pieces in the background, along the fence come off the top of the pallet, or off the bottom?

Is it just my eyes, or are the edges more brown than the center of the strips of sod.
I did look at the pictures and notice it all. That's why I posted this to ask what I need to do. I know it's not the best sod job. I'm not in this business, I just wanted advice to help my own lawn.

Its not like I watered some but not all. I do know that all of it is getting plenty of water. I waited at the sod place for them to finish cutting it and load it on the truck. When they arrived about 45 min adter loading their truck, I drove home and had it all put down within about 5 hours. So it was put down the same day. I don't see how I could've prevented the top layers of the palet from getting more dry then the bottom layers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the detail, just not trying to make it seem like I thought I did a perfect job. Please don't take my post the wrong way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't worry, it will be fine. Once you have cut it twice, start fertilizing as normal. It will look gray if it is dead. Brown is just dormancy.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I know this is late..but for the future.. NEVER put down a fertilizer or weed n feed untill the roots are established.. usually 1-1.5 months.. your new grass needs to devote its energy to root growth.. adding fert or weednfeed stresses the grass too much.. also water needs to be 1 inch twice daily for the first week, 1 inch daily second week, 1 inch third week normal 2-3 days of water
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep it wet. And next time stagger the joints.

Some pieces are brown and some green. I am assuming you water it all the same. So...there was some problem before you laid it on the ground. Perhaps it was not laid within 6 hours of harvesting the sod. Or perhaps it dried out a bit on the pallet before you were able to lay it down. Perhaps the bad area in front was laid first...and perhaps it came from the top (drier) part of the pallet. You cannot really tell if the sod was stored for a few hours at the sod farm. Or was it transported under hot dry conditions without being covered. If the edges are more brown, and they are, I would suspect drying out on the pallet, the top roll would be more affected, of course. If the inner part of the roll and deeper parts of the pallet are more affected--then perhaps the sod 'heated up" during transport or storage, (not the case here).