Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

blanket spraying with a backpack at .5 gallon per 1,000 sq. ft.

the spray out of the tip just isn't even. i did my calibration test on the driveway. it is heavy on the left and right side of pattern not to much going down in the middle. everything is new, there was nothing clogged. i am getting .5 gallons per 1,000 sq. ft. with yellow low volume tip and the 25 psi pressure regulator that came with my backpack.

i just got a constant-flow valve from gemplers (21psi RED). but need to figure out what would be an ideal tip for this situation? any suggestions would be very helpful.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try a new nozzle

i persnally use teejet flat fan grey tips ss

work for my speed and spray rate

http://www.teejet.com/english/home/p...pray-tips.aspx
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whether you are spray painting or spraying...as you move the nozzle back and forth your nozzle has to slow down and stop, and then reverse directions, at the end of each side stroke. Slight variations are not important (except in spray painting auto fenders).
You can use painter's techinque, and cover the concrete more evenly by spraying in a series of overlapping figure 8 patterns as you walk forward.

It does not have to be perfect.

Do not use flat fan nozzles if you move your arm back and forth.

http://magnum.graco.com/products/M_P...ray_Techniques
Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, i should have known better because when i calibrated on concrete i could clearly see it was to heavy on left and right. i blanket app'd my own yard with my backpack with spectracide weed stop (at the rate specified for bermuda grass on the label) sprayed at .5 gallons per 1,000 sq. ft. i walked to fast because i had a little bit left over, so was even less than .5 gallons per thousand. there is some yellowing in streaks that comfirms that its definetly comming out to heavy on right or left.. lol. unless i'm just overlapping to much.. i tried not to.. but that could be it. the yelowing is nothing that won't grow out in a week or 2, but definetly gotta get new tip. i ordered 8004, 8005, 8006 teejet xr tips, gonna keep trying. i don't wave back and forth, i hold it straight out infront.

i've never blanket app'd with a backpack before. only spot treatments when i worked for trugreen and a few other companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Whether you are spray painting or spraying...as you move the nozzle back and forth your nozzle has to slow down and stop, and then reverse directions, at the end of each side stroke. Slight variations are not important (except in spray painting auto fenders).
You can use painter's techinque, and cover the concrete more evenly by spraying in a series of overlapping figure 8 patterns as you walk forward.

It does not have to be perfect.

Do not use flat fan nozzles if you move your arm back and forth.

http://magnum.graco.com/products/M_P...ray_Techniques