Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where, Oh Where, Did My Site Go?

About a month ago I got interested in SEO. We had been using our site as a basic online brochure, not really drawing in new business with it. I decided to try to change that.

For the last three weeks I optimized the site a bit and built a few backlinks- local directories, Manta, Yelp, here, etc. Much to my surprise, last week I started to see results. By Saturday I was on page one for 4 of the 6 keywords I am targeting. I was #4 for "portland lawn care".

Today- I am gone! None of my keywards are in the top 100.

The only thing I did this weekend was a small tweak on the site itself and claimed my "Places" listing.

Any ideas? Can you oversubmit a site? Is it because when I changed the URL of some of the pages the old pages still show up when you use google to search my site? Something else?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Google did a huge dump of sites off of google that were basically spamming and using alot of seo, It affected a few hundred thousand sites. Basically google frowns upon seo and all the methods used to help sites get to the top of google.

I would assume they targeted yours as one of the sites they didnt like. They basically un-indexed you.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Google does what i have heard called a "flop" when they do a major update.

I played around in Google trying to find your site, and found it is still listed, just not very high. This could be for any number of reasons though.

Did you say you changed some of your files names? That could account for the changes in indexing. Give it time for Google to update.

Increase the keyword density within your page for the keywords you want to be found for. Catch here though is to do it naturally, which i am terrible for.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you see similar drops in Bing/Yahoo and Google?

There haven't been any significant Google algorithmic changes since April 3rd, although they are always tweaking. Going by what you presented us, I doubt your issues are related to any of those.

Is it because when I changed the URL of some of the pages the old pages still show up when you use google to search my site?

This is the most likely issue. If you changed page names/page titles, Google can view it as a significant enough change in perceived "site/page trust" and may drop you as they reassess your site.

In terms of over-submitting or too many back-links too quickly, you're fine.

In looking at your site, Google doesn't weigh meta keywords, but Bing does, but it's seems to be used to decide whether you're spammy or not, and whether they match the on-page content. You have a lot of keywords that really overlap or repeat. For what it's worth, I don't use, nor have used keywords for myself or any clients for quite some time. (As an amusing aside, I stumbled across an early post of mine while doing a search here. It was saying that meta keywords aren't necessary. It was from...2004. lol)

I would also Google "sitemap.xml" and "robots.txt" and create those so that the next time the search bots crawl your site, they'll have an easier time.

Do that, keep monitoring, and let us know how things progress.

Breathe...

Tony
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate. All my keywords are back where I want them- crazy. In fact, my three most important ones are all page one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Its called the google dance, it happens once and a while. Best thing you can do if you find your serps drop because of link building is to keep the same link velocity, try to always use high quality links as well.