Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bad Rap for Bahia???

So here is my thoughts - Bahia can be a very attractive turf grass for a residential lawn if properly cared for, meaning you feed it, water it, remove pest from it...just like you would with a St. Augustine lawn if you wanted it to last, however I think it generally gets a bad rap because of neglect.

So thought I would post a picture of a Bahia lawn that I care for and was on today. Tell me if you see anything wrong with this lawn and why it does not make a attractive turf in your opinion.

Post pictures of your Bahia lawns if you have ones that you feel are good lawns too.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

Bahia isn't a bad grass if you have the Correct soil for it. Unfortunately the S W Gulf Coastal of Florida where I am, has calcareous sandy. Bahia likes a pH of 6 and my area has a 9.5 natural pH. Therefore Bahia Doesn't do very well in my area.

BTW Bahia on good soil is like Bluegrass in the fact you really can't mess it up. Any one can take care of it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

BTW Bahia on good soil is like Bluegrass in the fact you really can't mess it up. Any one can take care of it.

From what I have seen on the lawns that have irrigation and have the lawn properly cared for with maint and fert and squirt....I would tend to agree with you. Like we have discussed it would be a little more forgiving if something did go wrong as you could simply overseed like the guys up north vs the high cost of sodding.

The green that these bahia lawns have in the early early spring here is much much darker green compared to the St. Augustine lawns that surround them.

How is weed control on them Ric...is there a wider selection of herbicides that can be used on them than say S.A?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
From what I have seen on the lawns that have irrigation and have the lawn properly cared for with maint and fert and squirt....I would tend to agree with you. Like we have discussed it would be a little more forgiving if something did go wrong as you could simply overseed like the guys up north vs the high cost of sodding.

The green that these bahia lawns have in the early early spring here is much much darker green compared to the St. Augustine lawns that surround them.

How is weed control on them Ric...is there a wider selection of herbicides that can be used on them than say S.A?
Mikey

Believe it or not I use a low rate of Roundup to control broad leafs. But the real point is there are several good herbicides for Bahia. There are Ag labeled pesticides that work even better.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 04-20-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would agree it can make a decent looking lawn. But when it starts producing it's seedhead is the problem. Do you do anything to suppress the seedhead, growth regulator? How do you fert it, how much N or K?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I would agree it can make a decent looking lawn. But when it starts producing it's seedhead is the problem. Do you do anything to suppress the seedhead, growth regulator? How do you fert it, how much N or K?
ArTurf

Seed Head are a bigger problem on Pensacola Bahia than Argentine Bahia. Pensacola Bahia is used more in Pastures and Road & Right Away setting than Residential lawns.

However Roundup applied at a lower rate can suppress Pensacola seed heads. You may want to use the search feature with the Key Words CHEMICAL MOWING for more information. I am not going to retype what I have already typed many times.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO-Bahia that gets fert/irrigation is like a skirt steak with seasoning, it's still a skirt steak. It's funny how customers in your area irrigate/fert Bahia but will request you to cut zoysia at 4" with a big ztr.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you recommend a 4 day per week cycle on Argentine as far as water? (meaning dry season anyway). Hoping to get something going soon over here.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

bahia is crap....you can make it look good for a while but eventually it will be nothing more than weeds...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
bahia is crap....you can make it look good for a while but eventually it will be nothing more than weeds...
Even with Chemical Mowing, or using herbicides?