Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fuel Pump in Fuel Tank

I am curious, how many of you have a fuel pump in the tank ? And how many of you have had to replace it ? I have a '99 F150 and it cost me $400 today to have that fixed.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I am pretty sure most modern vehicles have in tank pumps. Last one I had to replace was a 2000 Jeep cherokee. Most shops charge more if you have a lot of gas in the tank as well. Because they have to deal with draining it. I think $400 really isnt that bad of a deal.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, i only had 1/8 of a tank of gas. And the other two place's that quoted that repair were between $600-750 so i'm not complaining too loud about the price. It just blow's me away that the pump is in the tank. But i guess that's normal.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If that was including the parts it was a fair price. It books two hours on a 1997 when I looked it up a few years ago for mine on my dads alldata.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

The $400 for the replacement sounds about right. I had a fuel pump replaced in my 2000 s10 years ago and it was about $200-$300, had to remove the tank. Just a few weeks ago, I replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 83 ford f350 utility truck and it only cost me $26 and a few hours time, glad I didnt have to remove those tanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryDaddy View Post
The $400 for the replacement sounds about right. I had a fuel pump replaced in my 2000 s10 years ago and it was about $200-$300, had to remove the tank. Just a few weeks ago, I replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my 83 ford f350 utility truck and it only cost me $26 and a few hours time, glad I didnt have to remove those tanks.
Yeah, i'm finding out that in-tank fuel pump's are a lot more common than i realized. Almost all the vehicle's i grew up with had the pump under the hood.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In tank pumps are the norm across the board. Keeps the pump cool
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss View Post
In tank pumps are the norm across the board. Keeps the pump cool
Posted via Mobile Device
An external is cooler than an internal. Most fuel systems have returns so they run consistently at the same volume. This allows the fuel to actually warm up in the tank. A fuel pump can self prime easier if it's mounted in the fuel tank. Lift pumps normally need primed if you run out. It's more expensive to make high pressure, high volume, self priming lift pumps.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree about the heat. Lift pumps can't handle the psi that intank pumps can. Old external pumps never needed primed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If the system is a return style setup like most Fords the fuel in the tank gets way hotter than it is out side so how could it stay cooler than a external one? Both will have fuel that is the same temperature flowing through it but the external will be able to dissipate heat into the air as the internal will be subjected to the heat of the fuel internally and externally. The fuel gets heated as it goes through the engine compartment and under the intake to the fuel regulator where it is sent back and circulated. The advantages of a internal one is that it's quite too. Also, hotter fuel burns cleaner. Why do you think engines run over 200 degrees now compared to older vehicles? They also wear less at higher temps.