Register free!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Grassy Weed Id Please Zone 9B

Alright ....this might throw some of you guys for a loop. 9b is the zone, the turf this weed is growing in is St. Augustine. Current Temps are in the high 80's.

With all that said I did overseed with a rye grass this year during a frost and did so very lightly. I am assuming this a cool season turf from the rye back but I could be wrong. This weed is now throughout my back lawn which generally does not have weeds at all because the turf is generally thick and lush.

It grows rapidly and outpaces the St. Augustine under the current conditions. It does not cut well. I change the blades and sharpen them daily on my mower but despite this this grassy weed has a torn apperance on the top after being cut while the St. Augustine still shows signs of a clean cut. It is a clumping grass. The very base of the grass generally has a purple color to it which will be seen by the photos I have and will post later.

I have more pictures if needed but have failed to upload at this point. Let see if any of you can tell me of what it is and how to safely remove it from my St. Augustine lawn.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Likely Perennial Rye. Hairless and smooth shiny narrow pointed leaves. V shaped. Bunch grass. Usually dark red at plant base. I also see Boxer grass just to the right of the Rye.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tall fescue also has bunch type growth habit. Run you're fingers along the edges of the blade, if it's fescue it will have a rough feeling. Also check If the stem is rolled in the bud or folded. If it has those rough edges and is rolled, it is tall fescue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm gonna say it's neither. Tall fescue and Perrenial Rye both have a red/purple color at the base. Need some morw pics and descriptions. Auricles, Lingules, rolled or folded.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Another Shot 2

Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clumpy rye
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnoftheMonth View Post
Clumpy rye
Any suggestions on products that is safe for St. Augustine that will destroy this??/

I tried Atrazine thinking if it was Rye it would kill it as it does on the annual rye....nothing doing with this type with the atrazine so far.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't deal with warm season grasses this far north but Atrazine should do the job if that's Rye and is safe to use in St. Augustinegrass. Here's a helpful link:
http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/...Perennial.aspx
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjones View Post
I don't deal with warm season grasses this far north but Atrazine should do the job if that's Rye and is safe to use in St. Augustinegrass. Here's a helpful link:
http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/...Perennial.aspx
Thank you for the link. I will read later on today after I complete my route. Thanks again for the help hopefully I can resolve this as I want to essentially just know. If it is a rye...I really do not understand why the atrazine has not harmed it at all.