Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a new mower by the end of the weekend! (ZTR)

Hello lawnsite members!

My parents are in desperate need of a new lawn mower after their current GT broke down. This choice needs to be decided before Monday because that's the only time my dad is home (he's a trucker).
There is approximately 3 acres to mow each week. They wanted to look into getting a ZTR because there's little to no slopes and it should make everything easier and faster.
They would prefer a mower that isn't going to break down any time soon, 6 years would probably be adequate (they used to own a ~20 year old Toro). They would prefer the mower to be under $4000, anything higher would be a big stretch; if it needs to be more, you would need to give a valid argument as to why this price point is not possible.

They live in the Water Valley area in North MS. I have already called around the local dealers and they offer:
  • Bad Boy (through TSC)
  • Bob-Cat
  • Bush Hog
  • eXmark
  • Ferris
  • Grasshopper
  • Husqvarna
  • Hustler
  • Scag
  • Toro
Out of these choices, what would be the best brand for the current price point? ($4000)

When I called the dealers, it's looking like a tie between eXmark (Quest-S) and Hustler (Sport?) for the price range I'm trying to get. But I am still looking for more opinions on this before making the final leap.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColPaint View Post
Hello lawnsite members!

My parents are in desperate need of a new lawn mower after their current GT broke down. This choice needs to be decided before Monday because that's the only time my dad is home (he's a trucker).
There is approximately 3 acres to mow each week. They wanted to look into getting a ZTR because there's little to no slopes and it should make everything easier and faster.
They would prefer a mower that isn't going to break down any time soon, 6 years would probably be adequate (they used to own a ~20 year old Toro). They would prefer the mower to be under $4000, anything higher would be a big stretch; if it needs to be more, you would need to give a valid argument as to why this price point is not possible.

They live in the Water Valley area in North MS. I have already called around the local dealers and they offer:
  • Bad Boy (through TSC)
  • Bob-Cat
  • Bush Hog
  • eXmark
  • Ferris
  • Grasshopper
  • Husqvarna
  • Hustler
  • Scag
  • Toro
Out of these choices, what would be the best brand for the current price point? ($4000)

When I called the dealers, it's looking like a tie between eXmark (Quest-S) and Hustler (Sport?) for the price range I'm trying to get. But I am still looking for more opinions on this before making the final leap.
Well I can at least take a few off your list. Grasshopper will not have anything for around 4000. Ferris' least expensive option will be around $5000 and the current list on the Scag Freedom Z is about $6000. Husqvarna might be worth a look; I would not buy from any big box so if TSC is the only Bad Boy dealer I would cross that off my list. Bob-Cat makes some good mowers at very competitive prices but I do not know if they are in your price range. Another pair to look at would be Ariens/Gravely if there is a dealer any where near you. Ariens will definitely have an offering in your price range and, generally, make a good product.

As is often said here, buy the dealer not the mower. Best of luck with your search.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS500Z View Post
Well I can at least take a few off your list. Grasshopper will not have anything for around 4000. Ferris' least expensive option will be around $5000 and the current list on the Scag Freedom Z is about $6000. Husqvarna might be worth a look; I would not buy from any big box so if TSC is the only Bad Boy dealer I would cross that off my list. Bob-Cat makes some good mowers at very competitive prices but I do not know if they are in your price range. Another pair to look at would be Ariens/Gravely if there is a dealer any where near you. Ariens will definitely have an offering in your price range and, generally, make a good product.

As is often said here, buy the dealer not the mower. Best of luck with your search.
Thanks for the info!

The reasons I listed the other brands was just to show what is available in the area and if raising the budget would be worth it.

The closest Ariens/Gravely dealer is almost an hour and a half away, a little too far unless the mowers are really that good.

I've been reading this forum for a while and heard plenty of times that dealers are much better to go through than places like HD.

So by going with what you said, the list would look more like this:
  • Ariens/Gravely
  • Bob-Cat
  • Bush Hog
  • eXmark
  • Ferris
  • Husqvarna
  • Hustler
  • Toro
Still need more info!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

The Hustler Sport is a nice machine for the money. Just be sure to get the Kawasaki engine.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toros'r'us View Post
The Hustler Sport is a nice machine for the money. Just be sure to get the Kawasaki engine.
Noted.

Is there a reason the Kawasaki is better than the others?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

The Kawasaki is quieter and more heavy duty than the Briggs and Stratton. The Honda's a nice engine, but parts cost more and they've had some trouble with their larger engines.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright, I have a good idea at what I'm going to be looking at so far. As of right now the two mowers to decide between would be the eXmark Quest-S and the Hustler Sport.

Now, let's say the price jumped because my dad is more inclined on getting a Bush Hog (at $5600) because he knows the name and trusts it more.
If the price was to go that high, is this Bush Hog good enough? Or would we be better off getting a different mower at the same price range from the list I originally posted?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Alright, I have a good idea at what I'm going to be looking at so far. As of right now the two mowers to decide between would be the eXmark Quest-S and the Hustler Sport.

Now, let's say the price jumped because my dad is more inclined on getting a Bush Hog (at $5600) because he knows the name and trusts it more.
If the price was to go that high, is this Bush Hog good enough? Or would we be better off getting a different mower at the same price range from the list I originally posted?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Not about the Bush Hog brand? I've never seen one, nor read any post about them. I say do some research, or stay away. Have you looked at Bob Cat Ztr's? How about Everride? I know Bad Boy has been down played. But one with a 23 hp Vanguard engine would do ya'll right. A very good engine with usable power, and easy on fuel. I'm not a big Quest fan. I see plenty of them. I feel there's better mowers out there. I hate to say but I feel the Sport is light duty too. The Bad ZT is way over bilt. The0 CZT blows them out of the box.
IMHO. MS_SURVEYOR
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_SURVEYOR View Post
Not about the Bush Hog brand? I've never seen one, nor read any post about them. I say do some research, or stay away. Have you looked at Bob Cat Ztr's? How about Everride? I know Bad Boy has been down played. But one with a 23 hp Vanguard engine would do ya'll right. A very good engine with usable power, and easy on fuel. I'm not a big Quest fan. I see plenty of them. I feel there's better mowers out there. I hate to say but I feel the Sport is light duty too. The Bad ZT is way over bilt. The0 CZT blows them out of the box.
IMHO. MS_SURVEYOR
Posted via Mobile Device
Well my dad has had a Bush Hog rotary cutter for close to 25 years now and it still works somehow...

Bob-Cat falls into the same price range as the Bush Hog, though their 5-year warranty looks nice, they don't have lifetime coverage on the deck like Bush Hog does.
The closest Everride or Bad Boy dealership is almost a 2 hour drive, so that's a no go.