Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

12 foot trailer question?

I am looking to get a 12 foot trailer and am wondering what I can fit on it in terms of equipment. I would like to be able to fit 2 60in walkbehinds or one walkbehind and a ztr.

Any ideas on if these will fit?

Thanks,
Calvin
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro 52" Proline
John Deere LT155
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Echo Edger
Echo Trimmer
and American Muscle
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

It's as basic as lining up the equipment and measuring it from one end to the other and see how long it is. Rule of thumb. Always get two feet larger on a trailer as it will save you a lot in the future. Make sure that you get a trailer that can handle those large machines. You might even wan't a tandem axle if you plan on using that equipment.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. Do you think that there would be a need for tandem axles on this trailer? If a ztr weighs 1300 at the most and then a walkbehind weighs less than 700 i will be under the gross weight of the trailer. My route is rather small so the miles on it will be low.
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro 52" Proline
John Deere LT155
Echo Edger
Echo Trimmer
and American Muscle
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Most 6x12 single axle trailers have a gross weight of about 2,500 to 3,000 lbs so you will be fine. But if you ever want to haul other tools and/or material you might want to go larger. But in your case you will do just fine with a single. Just make sure to look at specs before you buy it.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking at different trailers and most 6.5 * 12 trailers have 3500 axle and a capacity of 3000. I figured I can carry about 4 yards of mulch at a time which is fine for me cause its either about 4 yards or 10 there's no in between.

Do you think that a walkbehind and ztr will fit? I can measure out 2 walkbehinds but i don't have a ztr to measure out for the trailer.
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro 52" Proline
John Deere LT155
Echo Edger
Echo Trimmer
and American Muscle
Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would buy bigger...i have a 14 footer and put a z and a walkbehind on it and wish i had more space. I got my trailer as a freebie from my father inlaw and after this season, its first with me will be looking to go to a bigger size next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would mark the trailer dimensions on the ground... and arrange your equipment within to see how it fits.
Last tandem axle trailer I bought was only $50 more for 2ft. longer!

Single axle pulls a little easier.... but a tandem pulls a little more stable.
My opinion anything over 12ft. would be better off going tandem unless your only hauling leaves or mulch.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech View Post
I would buy bigger...i have a 14 footer and put a z and a walkbehind on it and wish i had more space. I got my trailer as a freebie from my father inlaw and after this season, its first with me will be looking to go to a bigger size next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. I really wish I had made the right decision when I upgraded from my 5x8 to a 6x10. Stupid move on my part, but I needed that little extra space to fit the walk behinds. I need a 16ft trailer now, and am stuck in a crappy situation, and now need to sell my 2 small trailers int he middle of cutting season.
You will be dissapointed when you start getting large leaf clean-up and mulching jobs, not to mention fitting the mowers. And there is no need for tandem axles on a 12ft trailer really. I really suggest at least a 14ft trailer for you my friend. Trust me

And yes, you should be able to fit them. I had fit a 48' and a 36' walk behing in a 5x8, sideways
Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They will fit but just barely. ZTR is 7' and the frame, wheels, and deck of the WB is about 5'. the handle bars will be in your lap when you load though. When i bought the 14footer was only $100 more so i just went with that. Glad I did.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 04-21-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

14' tandem axle and brakes on both axles would be a great choice and get a well built one not the cheapest. If you grow your business you'll appreciate having the extra room alot. I have a 16' and 2 WB mowers and run out of trailer often. Yesterday I was able to leave the house with one mower wheel barrows and all the hand tools needed for a mulch job. I stopped and picked up my mulch and then proceeded to my first property. Mowed the lawn, cleaned the beds out, and then installed mulch. I then went and mowed 4 more lawns and after that, on my way to the last 3 properties of the day stopped by the supply yard picked up 3 yards of compost and top dressed a lawn before mowing the last 2 properties of the day. If I had a smaller trailer this could not have been done in one day and would've cost me more in drivetime and fuel, something to consider as a small operation that is only using one truck/trailer setup. TIME IS MONEY!

Last edited by knox gsl; 04-21-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: I wasn't done talking.