Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2012, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Photo Shoot - Kichler LED

These are from a project we finished today. Just thought I'd share the photos. I'm still not so great at taking night lighting photos but I felt these turned out better than a some I've taken in the past.

These are all Kichler Design Pro LED. The spot lights had the Amber Lenses installed.

Attached Images

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And one more little straggler.......

Attached Images

Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those look really good. When I got my new Canon I had a friend of mine who does photography tell me what settings to use. I never would have figured it out without her helping me, but the pics turned out awesome.

I wasted 3 nights trying to figure it out myself and I was at the point of just paying someone. LOL
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post
Those look really good. When I got my new Canon I had a friend of mine who does photography tell me what settings to use. I never would have figured it out without her helping me, but the pics turned out awesome.

I wasted 3 nights trying to figure it out myself and I was at the point of just paying someone. LOL
Well how about sharing those settings
Old 04-21-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

those trees are way too hot...and no it's not just the camera.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

BTW...any $150 camera has a night landscape setting and will take excellent pics if you are even halfway coherant.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
those trees are way too hot...and no it's not just the camera.
You're referring to the two birch trees in front. The Japanese maples are lit up just perfectly. But those two birch trees were a little hot, yes. And we did move the light fixtures back about 8" after the photo shoot, which helped considerably. But the problem is there wasn't much room to place the fixtures any further away from the tree. You can see in the photo below, there is just a small circle inside the small lawn for us to place the light fixture in. We cannot place it in the lawn. And to cut the lawn out and make the circle larger would make the already small lawn look silly. To use a smaller fixture wouldn't have been right either. This was the medium spot light from Kichler, with the 35 degree arc, which is the right fixture for a large birch tree like that. And if we had gone down to the small kichler fixture, the light would not have climbed up the tree branches all the way. So we were just limited. Pulling them away did help. But that was about the most we could do given the space. Plus, their birches with white bark. Those always look hot because they reflect so much light. I think we made the right choice here.

The light fixtures on the brick are just a tad hot too. I would have liked to pull them back another 12" as well. But as you can see, there is a hedge limiting my options there too. And those were already the smallest spot lights available.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
BTW...any $150 camera has a night landscape setting and will take excellent pics if you are even halfway coherant.
Your nuts. Actually just shows how little even most landscapers in this industry know.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim it looks good. We all know how that actually looks at night. I would say thought that it can use 2nd story lighting. In developments like that you need something to make your work stand out. And highlighting the height of the home is going to do that for you.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
Your nuts. Actually just shows how little even most landscapers in this industry know.
I understand you may not know much....I've done it. I maintain a 1500 light system and have taken many....MANY pics....some of which have been published. I enjoy photography very much, and when you actually TRY to maximize a piece of equipment, you would be surprised how much a pocket cam with a tripod can do. JUst because YOU can't, doesn't mean others cannot.