Register free!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OP..I don't use led, but can you screen those down so the light isn't so white?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
Well how about sharing those settings
I have them written down and it is in my camera bag at home. Once I get done with work I will post them. They are not Canon specific, they should work for all SLR's. I have been using a Canon EOS Rebel T3i and it is way more than I can ever dream to figure out.

The trick to taking pictures at night (I found out the hard way) is you MUST use a tripod for the exposure settings required. Once I got the tripod and my cheat sheet the pictures ended up looking professional quality
Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
I understand you may not know much....I've done it. I maintain a 1500 light system and have taken many....MANY pics....some of which have been published. I enjoy photography very much, and when you actually TRY to maximize a piece of equipment, you would be surprised how much a pocket cam with a tripod can do. JUst because YOU can't, doesn't mean others cannot.
I dont claim to know alot. I do know that a $150.00 point and shoot camera can not produce quality night time lighting pictures. I dont care what low level night scene mode it might have. If your not shooting with a dlsr then I can only imagine what your pictures look like.

1500 lights? Good for you. I would hate to get that electric bill since its not LED
Old 04-21-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not trying to start an argument about cameras here.

Nice pictures James and I will post the information for those who want it.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
OP..I don't use led, but can you screen those down so the light isn't so white?
Well, first of all, the Kichler Design Pro LEDs aren't that white to begin with. They are a warm white. About 2,850-3,000° Kelvin, which is really close to light temperatures you get from halogen or incandescent light. Second, we did add the AMBER lenses to these lights, at the customer's request, to make them even warmer.

They look more white partially because the birch trees ARE white. Their bark is white. And no matter how much I put an ember light on them, they're still white. The other part is my camera does not quite capture the true look of what they look like in person. In person they look really nice and warm, I think. I think its a nice color. But trying to capture that look exactly on film is difficult.

Anyway, they're already toned down - to answer your question.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 04-22-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post

The trick to taking pictures at night (I found out the hard way) is you MUST use a tripod for the exposure settings required. Once I got the tripod and my cheat sheet the pictures ended up looking professional quality
This is the key--a tripod. Even with a pocket digital, if you have it on a tripod you should be able to get some decent shots. Turn the flash off and don't worry about shutter speed--just experiment until you get it right.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
. We cannot place it in the lawn. And to cut the lawn out and make the circle larger would make the already small lawn look silly.
It's not your call, but the owner should get rid of the lawn there, because it's silly anyway, and plant something else in a mulch bed. Maybe a couple of smaller bush-type plants plus a ground cover.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. Yah. I'll get right on that and recommend that to him....

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the list I was given, but there are some variables that require adjustments.

- Turn Image Stabilization off
- Get a Tripod
- Shoot in Manual Mode
- Set White Balance to Tungsten light
- F Stop set to 8
- Shutter = 1/30th per second
- If it is too dark, then use F 5.6 and 1/15th per second
- If using AP mode, use exposure compensation to tweek exposure
- ISO = 800 - 1600 - 3200 maximum
- While shooting, adjust the light meter to 0 as is gets darker during the time you are taking photo's

I am not a camera guy, so if you disagree with any of this I really do not care. LOL I just know that this guide made all the difference in the world, plus it saved me a lot of missed dinners with the wife.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

some tips I'd add-

- use several f-stops and shutter speeds with the same photo scene and keep a list of what you did- some water and wind can create cool effects. write down what f-stop and shutter speed or you won't remember how to reproduce a certain effect.
- I have used the AV setting on the dial which allows you to turn off the flash, set the f-stop and the camera adjusts the shutter according to light available.
- the same with shutter speed- on full manual, start with what works, but water can be very cool with different shutter speeds.
- always use mirror up ( you may have to consult your DSLR manual)
- use the timer, my canon does an 8 second count down. the vibration from the mirror moving and manually pushing the button can introduce blur.
-take photos at different times of dusk.
-sometimes a zoom from a distance looks better than a close up without zoom. on point and shoots, stay away from digital zoom. optical only.

If you can find them, look for mike gambino's tips he sprinkled throughout here back when he posted. his photos truly had no equal.

hexlouver would cut some of that hot on the birch, but birches are white bark anyway.

And it is ok that folks think that point and clicks can take good night time landscape light photos. A lot of folks think that. I see those photos all over. and it is ok those folks think they look great too. Every great photographer we know uses point and clicks, right?

Last edited by David Gretzmier; 04-22-2012 at 02:14 AM.