Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite4 View Post
Looks Good Jim,

I like the trachycarpus you lit. Good to see you pushing the envelope of plant material a bit. I planted some back in Idaho and they did fine with winter protection. Probably 2 climate zones difference.
I saw that palm and I thought that Jim must have taken the photo when he was on vacation in the south. I wasn't acquainted with the trachycarpus until now. So I went scurrying for my etymological dictionary. "Rough fruit" ? Does that palm get fruit?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."

Last edited by starry night; 06-22-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Trachycarpus fortunei, Chusan palm or Chinese windmill palm... Goes by many names. One of the hardiest trunked palm varieties on the planet. It may fruit in more southernly climates but never in zone 6-7 that I saw.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 06-22-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite4 View Post
It may fruit in more southernly climates but never in zone 6-7 that I saw.
No. That's not true. They produce fruit around here when they get mature enough and if they are happy. There are many around town that have the beautiful yellow fruit stuff hanging from just under the frawns. I'll take some photos of some as I see them in the next few weeks.

Palms aren't super popular around here because they don't really fit in with the NW planting scheme very well. But there are a few varieties that do grow up here. The Windmill Palm and the Mexican Fan Palm are the two most common around here. I know one guy who has a really nice big Blue Palm. Some in the Portland area are upwards of 25-30' tall even. But most are in the 5-12' range.

You can't grow them everywhere in your landscape. They need to be protected from cold winter winds. So in the corner of a house where they are protected on two sides is a great place to plant one around here.

All of the McDonald's in the SW Portland / Beaverton / Washington County area were all landscaped by one of my competitors who loves the tropical look. So all of those McDonald's restaurants have half a dozen good sized windmill palms and at least as many Italian Cypress as well (which also aren't very common around here, because they're problematic.) They've done a really good job of making each of the McDonald's around here look almost like California. And these guys do a really nice job of keeping the palms really happy and the Italian Cypress sheared very tightly so the can resist damage from the heavy rain, wind and occasional snow.

I wish we could grow Queen Palms and King Palms here. I'm still waiting for all the global warming to start kicking in so that Oregon can be more like California! But that damm AlGore is full of spit, as far as I can tell. Because there ain't no warming here.

I actually planted some Windmill Palms up at my cousin's house that is 20 miles North of Seattle. That was 5 years ago and we planted 5 of them. 2 or 3 are still alive and doing pretty well. But at least 2 didn't make it. But they can have them as far North as Seattle and still do okay.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, that's cool Jim. I never would have imagined you would see fruiting. although, Portland is quite a bit more temperate than Boise. Portland is such a beautiful city. I miss the PNW.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tim, You mean you don't like the flatlands of central Indiana?

Did you get the email sent to your new address?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."