Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-21-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Care Bids

Hello everyone! Maine Property has been doing residential lawn care since 2001. I wanted to start doing commercial lawn care but I don't know where to look for towns/city's that are taking bids? How does one go about getting commercial bids and where would one look?
Thanks!
Clarence
Old 04-21-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Call town Hall and ask if they bid some work out.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

have a hard time believing you have been doing this since 2001 and you have no idea where to look.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Care Bids

Maine Property is in a small city. I have looked on websites of "Towns" in a 40 mile radius and NONE of the websites state anything about accepting bids for lawn care or cemeteries for mowing. I was unsure if you had to go to a town meeting or if there was a place that business posted there needs for the summer. We have over 300 clients that are residential.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

they aren't going to take the time out of the day to post on a website that they are wanting you to come place bids for them. Go around a walk into places and leave your card, ask for them to give you a call when they are ready to re-bid for the next season. Put in some effort, they will take note
Delaware Roof Cleaning
Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Most commercial properties or municipalities will have a standardized packet of information you / your company will need before they consider you for a bid. Eg; General Liability Insurance, Business license, Contractor License, etc... of course different states and property owners / managers require different things. It would be a good idea to have all of this important documentation prepared and ready to drop off if you start visiting local businesses / commercial property managers. Municipalities normally have a bid packet and you must meet all of the requirements of that bid packet prior to bidding the job. And as far as were to look for citys / towns taking bids you need to visit your local city hall and ask around someone will point you in the right direction.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you have 300 residential customers in a small town and none of them have referred you to any commercial work?

By stating that you're checking the city website I assume you're looking for government work. Or are you looking to take on retail or wharehouse type of places.

The funny thing is you have a pretty good chance of getting some of that type of work if you were to utilize some of the resources you already have. Or at least claim to have.

Just think about it for a few minutes, it will come to you. Or it should I hope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

300 accounts in a "small" town??? If you truely have 300 accounts then I wouldn't worry about commercial work. How many employees do you have? Hard to digest 300 accounts and none are commercial.