Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Use AdWords To Advertise?

I'd like to compare notes with other lawn care advertisers who use Google AdWords.

What are your best performing keywords?

What are some of your highest quality scores?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Make sure and add FREE to something in your ad. FREE Bids, free consultation. it's the best for sure.

FWIW the adwords interface is the most complicated in the world and I do software for a living.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I manage quite a few campaigns and have the following view on local service businesses: Build a good, optimized web site and you can avoid ever having an AdWords account.

That said, because you are campaigning for a localized service, you can often avoid higher bid costs. On the flip side, if you are in a competitive market, and have to go against the Service Magics and TruGreens of the world (often unavoidable in the lawn and landscape space, regardless of location), you can spend a nice chunk of change trying to compete.

Use the AdWords Keyword Tool, as well as good ol' Google/Bing/etc search, and search your desired keywords for your location. If you service New Orleans, searching something along the lines of "Lawn Service New Orleans" will have a very different competition level than "Lawn Service Ville Platte".
Old 04-06-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

tonygeek, how do you know about Ville Plate?

AdWords sees "lawn care" and "lawn service" as too generic for grass cutting and issues a low QS for it.. Through looking at my search terms report I see that "lawn care" is more related to landscape search intent than the intent of finding a grass cutter. I'd love to compare notes with someone who does grass cutting and consistently gets a high QS in their campaigns.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtislawncare View Post
tonygeek, how do you know about Ville Plate?
Google Maps. Needed a small town name for my example...
Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Google Maps. Needed a small town name for my example...
My dad is from Ville Platte and it's an out of the way place. It's an area often thought of as Cajun country but was actually founded by a few soldiers and officers from Napoleons army. It's an interesting place to experience.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Read this the other day and thought it was something you all might be interested in :

11 Successful AdWords Ads and Why They Crush the Competition

The recurring use of numbers is something I found interesting. And to echo ServiceVines' PTJackson, "Free" is often a great addition.

"Free shipping" has increased the click-thru of every retail campaign I've ever run, so find something you think might work, shape it for your business, and test a variety of ads to see what converts best.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Instead of "out-bidding" the competetion for a key word, make your web site more about that word or phrase that your competeition by using hyper links with that word or phrase linking to your site placed on big web sites like eBay, backpage, squidoo, digg, stumbleupon, redditt, yellowpages, yahoo directory, DMOZ, youtube, etc. and also have that word or phrase as alt text for images on your site and DO NOT over do it when you add text. just mention the phrase once or twice and the rest of the time use a different word with the same meaning so you are not penalized for keyword stuffing. Do a press release and submit a few articles all with links to your site using your favorite key phrases.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I would do an adword run if your site is new while you build off page seo. Once you start to even out on off site seo then you can determine if its worth the $$. I think its estimated that 15% of targeted web traffic come from paid clicks. If for the same or less money you can advance into specific organic listings then I would spend my resources on that.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For those of you who don't pay much attention to Adwords, in March they made more changes regarding location-based campaigns, allowing for a significantly targeted approach, which will ultimately lower your spend.