Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
6" is correct! But it felt like 6' when it would happen! It was getting late and this farm boy only has a AS in small business and auto mechanics. Plus out west here our inches are bigger...enough of that.

Yea, my bad on the PSI. I mentally kicked myself when BPS pointed that out. Rookie move on my part. When I talk to the dealer I'll question him and see what he says they were at.

I think the clumping I was seeing intermittently was acceptable (especially after running an XR7 deck which is not so much clumping as just carpeting the surface). I was pushing it hard in damp grass to see what she could do. I believe it was caused buy the high volume sometimes collecting on the rear lip of the chute. The baffles system is different than most I've seen. The deck itself is not real deep. and it uses sort of a graduated deck depth in it's baffle design. I did seem to disperse the clippings out of the chute very evenly. It sure collected a lot up under the deck though.
Too funny! (as long as your wife believes it right? )

I know what you meant about the rear jumping up though. A couple of my neighbirs have Walkers and love to brag about them. I have seen them have to stop very fast out at the edge of the road to keep from running out in front of a car coming around the bend, and the rear comes up at least 6", maybe more. That would suck IMO.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I had something happen today I have to say I was not expecting. I made someone, on lawn site, unhappy with the review I wrote here about the Walker Super B. It upset them enough they did some leg work and tracked down the dealer that was kind enough to allow me demo the unit and gave them an ear full about how I totally trashed Walker on this site. I was actually getting ready to call the dealer and ask him about the tire psi and give him a kind suggestion to check it before he allowed any other demos, but when I got to my house there was already a message from the dealer to call him. So I gave him a call and he says someone called him to see if I had demoed his unit and that I trashed it's reputation on LS. He said he has never and never will be on LS. I encouraged him to take a look and to also consider trying it as a free tool to promote his products as other dealers and product reps do. To say the least, he sounded very hurt and disgusted with what the caller told him I wrote about the Walker. This bothers me because I respect and like Vahn at Pennco Motor Sports in Kalispell MT 59901. If someone is need of a Walker, Yamaha, KTM, Tanaka or any other brand he carries I highly recommend him. He's always treated me well and fairly, he actually has exceeded my expectations for the most part as a dealer, especially in our area. I, in know way was trying to do him a disservice our effect him or his company in any negative way. Being a small town this will have a ripple effect and I hope that whoever had the need to do this is happy or at least got some satisfaction from doing this. I guess I'd also hope that other brand loyalists aren't so small as to go crying to someone due to the fact they're unhappy, insecure, or threatened about what someone else thinks about a product they may be using or own. Forums are a tool to give information to like minded or people with a common ground. If I wanted to hear what a dealer or a rep thinks of his product I'll ask him. If I want info on a product from people who actually use them to make a living and have experience with other products to compare them to, the forum is where I go. If I was unkind, unfair or just plain ignorant, about or to the product, that wasn't my intent, but why not let me know instead of calling the dealer there big man.
By the way if you need to get in contact with me feel free to PM me. I don't think we need Vahn as a middle man.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I had something happen today I have to say I was not expecting. I made someone, on lawn site, unhappy with the review I wrote here about the Walker Super B. It upset them enough they did some leg work and tracked down the dealer that was kind enough to allow me demo the unit and gave them an ear full about how I totally trashed Walker on this site. I was actually getting ready to call the dealer and ask him about the tire psi and give him a kind suggestion to check it before he allowed any other demos, but when I got to my house there was already a message from the dealer to call him. So I gave him a call and he says someone called him to see if I had demoed his unit and that I trashed it's reputation on LS. He said he has never and never will be on LS. I encouraged him to take a look and to also consider trying it as a free tool to promote his products as other dealers and product reps do. To say the least, he sounded very hurt and disgusted with what the caller told him I wrote about the Walker. This bothers me because I respect and like Vahn at Pennco Motor Sports in Kalispell MT 59901. If someone is need of a Walker, Yamaha, KTM, Tanaka or any other brand he carries I highly recommend him. He's always treated me well and fairly, he actually has exceeded my expectations for the most part as a dealer, especially in our area. I, in know way was trying to do him a disservice our effect him or his company in any negative way. Being a small town this will have a ripple effect and I hope that whoever had the need to do this is happy or at least got some satisfaction from doing this. I guess I'd also hope that other brand loyalists aren't so small as to go crying to someone due to the fact they're unhappy, insecure, or threatened about what someone else thinks about a product they may be using or own. Forums are a tool to give information to like minded or people with a common ground. If I wanted to hear what a dealer or a rep thinks of his product I'll ask him. If I want info on a product from people who actually use them to make a living and have experience with other products to compare them to, the forum is where I go. If I was unkind, unfair or just plain ignorant, about or to the product, that wasn't my intent, but why not let me know instead of calling the dealer there big man.
By the way if you need to get in contact with me feel free to PM me. I don't think we need Vahn as a middle man.
I'm sorry this happened to you brotha. This is suppose to be an honest forum and you wrote an honest review. Please don't let this affect your future reviews. A lot of manufacturers don't like to hear the truth I guess...I'm very disgusted at whoever did this and I really hope it wasn't Walker.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mtmower keep writing good honest reviews on equipment. Dont worry about it you did nothing wrong.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Great review mtmower!

Lots of good and useful info in it. I do think you should have checked the tire pressure yourself though. Most of them come shipped with about 30-40 PSI in them so that they can be strapped down with bands and not damage the tires, and most dealers don't do anything about it until they are selling the unit (this goes for any brand, not just Walker). You probably would have gotten better traction. At one point in your review though, you said the rear came up 6'. I hope you meant 6".

The discharge chute looks plenty wide enough, but it doesn't mean squat if the baffles underneath don't allow the grass to be splayed out across the full width of the chute on their way out.

I simply can't stand the stripes the single tail wheeled Walkers leave. They are butt ugly IMO. It just makes the stripes look like some moron let their kid run his mini bike all over the yard.

Again, great review.

PS: I see you addressed several of my points while I was typing this. Sorry for the redundancy.

Its pretty hard to say this doesn't look good.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

That was really really small of the person that did that.

I'm pretty brand loyal to Walker for sure but I realize that each person has their own favorite brand.
Walker aint for you or at least that model isn't, that doesn't mean they aren't a good product. Over 200,000 units sold.... can't be that many people wrong.
Many units go on to be sold and resold on the secondary market 2 or more times.
Mine is an 02 north of 3000 hrs, still mows just like a new one. This is my 3rd one.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
Its pretty hard to say this doesn't look good.

Sorry if I offended you bro since we have always gotten along here and I hope we continue to do so. I don't see any picture in your post. Just a small box with an X in it, but I gotta say, that doesn't look all that good to me.

I am very familiar with Walker cuts. I have a few neighbors with Walkers, and they are all the single rear tailwheel type (I think one may have double taliwheels mounted together). I see their stripes everyday as I drive past, and I simply cannot stand the way it looks. That third tailwheel makes the ugliest stripes of any mower I have seen. The stripes simply look too busy and chopped up to me. I realize that it is just my opinion, but it is one I am not alone in I see from reading many other posts here on LS that agree with me. I have no probelm with the split tailwheel setup's stripes.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
There are always gutless turds on any forum, or possibly in this case just reading this forum. I am sorry for your troubles mtnmower. You simply wrote an informative review, and someone with grapenuts for cahones got all butthurt and had to cause you this unnecessary trouble. Just keep doing what you're doing. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows you weren't trying to screw over your dealer, or put down Walker mowers.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Appreciate it guys. I am trying out a Husqvarna PZ I picked up tonight. It's only a 54 with a 29 (old hp rating) but it will give me a feel and I'll ask the dealer if it's ok before I post anything. Wed. I have a Gravely 460 being brought in by the rep to demo as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
As a long time walker user I might be able to help you out on some of the "negatives".

The single rear wheel does not mess up stripes. I get A LOT of compliments about how nice the job looks as do most other walker users.

Another thing you mentioned was the traction. I'll bet you a 6 pack that the tire pressure is probably at least 3 times too high. This will also effect the ride quality you mentioned.
Drop that to around 10 psi and watch miracles occur. Both in ride quality and traction. That isn't a walker brand issue, thats a dealer issue that doesn't know how to set up his equipment properly.

Another thought that came to me on lack of traction in some of my situations on very uneven surfaces like small banks or ditch areas. I wonder if the wide pivoting twin caster set up has a limitation stop to only pivot so far. If this were the case it could explain why I'd loose traction to one wheel.