Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
That was really really small of the person that did that.

I'm pretty brand loyal to Walker for sure but I realize that each person has their own favorite brand.
Walker aint for you or at least that model isn't, that doesn't mean they aren't a good product. Over 200,000 units sold.... can't be that many people wrong.
Many units go on to be sold and resold on the secondary market 2 or more times.
Mine is an 02 north of 3000 hrs, still mows just like a new one. This is my 3rd one.

Not arguing with you there. I have a lot of respect for the company from what I've heard and seen. Nothing but good things from dealers and family members. They seem more dealer and customer focused, with more hands on (magazines, get togethers and such) then just about any other brand. Our dealer here is a good example of this. As I stated in my original post, he's one the more proactive dealers for commercial operators in our area. Like you said, they wouldn't be successful if they weren't pleasing people.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Another thought that came to me on lack of traction in some of my situations on very uneven surfaces like small banks or ditch areas. I wonder if the wide pivoting twin caster set up has a limitation stop to only pivot so far. If this were the case it could explain why I'd loose traction to one wheel.

Is your area super dry this spring????

The reason I ask is that my new to me JD mid mount had an intense lack of traction today (first mowing). Sprinklers get turned on later this week.

And I noticed with my walker that I am very used to also had a huge lack of traction today as well.
The only thing I can attribute this to is the ground is super duper hard from lack of moisture and the tires are getting no grip.
Other wise its going to be a very long and tractionless summer.

And I've got my tires deflated to around 10 psi.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Sorry if I offended you bro since we have always gotten along here and I hope we continue to do so. I don't see any picture in your post. Just a small box with an X in it, but I gotta say, that doesn't look all that good to me.

I am very familiar with Walker cuts. I have a few neighbors with Walkers, and they are all the single rear tailwheel type (I think one may have double taliwheels mounted together). I see their stripes everyday as I drive past, and I simply cannot stand the way it looks. That third tailwheel makes the ugliest stripes of any mower I have seen. The stripes simply look too busy and chopped up to me. I realize that it is just my opinion, but it is one I am not alone in I see from reading many other posts here on LS that agree with me. I have no probelm with the split tailwheel setup's stripes.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

I like the look and so do all my customers. Over 12 years ago when I was one of 2 commercial walker mower owners in this area the look caught a lot of folks eyes.
Many comments made about how they'd never seen a look like that.

Today..... nearly every commercial operator in town has at least one if not multiple walkers on their trailers.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree then.

I like the look and so do all my customers. Over 12 years ago when I was one of 2 commercial walker mower owners in this area the look caught a lot of folks eyes.
Many comments made about how they'd never seen a look like that.

Today..... nearly every commercial operator in town has at least one if not multiple walkers on their trailers.
Not very super dry hear. Actually had light drizzle that a.m. right before the yard I took the pics. of. Had been dry prior to these last two weeks though.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Is your area super dry this spring????

The reason I ask is that my new to me JD mid mount had an intense lack of traction today (first mowing). Sprinklers get turned on later this week.

And I noticed with my walker that I am very used to also had a huge lack of traction today as well.
The only thing I can attribute this to is the ground is super duper hard from lack of moisture and the tires are getting no grip.
Other wise its going to be a very long and tractionless summer.

And I've got my tires deflated to around 10 psi.
Which JD do you have? I'm sure I have seen you mention it before, and probably even posted to you about it, but I just don't recall.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Which JD do you have? I'm sure I have seen you mention it before, and probably even posted to you about it, but I just don't recall.

This is my first experience with a mid mount. Up to now its all been conventional rider mower or a Walker. I've got approx 1500 hrs on a Walker.
To say that I was less than impressed with the mid mount would be an understatement. Dang is it ever clumsy!!!! When compared to a Walker. A Walker will duck and dive in and out of spots, around the trees and down the lawn.
But when it comes to large area mowing the midmount is much faster!

Like any thing else there is a learning curve but for the first day that was my impression.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

This is my first experience with a mid mount. Up to now its all been conventional rider mower or a Walker. I've got approx 1500 hrs on a Walker.
To say that I was less than impressed with the mid mount would be an understatement. Dang is it ever clumsy!!!! When compared to a Walker. A Walker will duck and dive in and out of spots, around the trees and down the lawn.
But when it comes to large area mowing the midmount is much faster!

Like any thing else there is a learning curve but for the first day that was my impression.
I take then that you just got the 777?

I agree, everything has a learning curve. I'd be just the opposite of you. I'd have a heck of a time with a Walker and having my one hand on the forward control and the other on the tiny little levers. No telling what I'd run into at first

The old 700 series were pretty good mowers, but the Z900's are a lot better. The traction is a lot better too.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the 777 back in January off craigs list out of NV.
$3000, I've had to put some money into it after that.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

walker mowers

mtmower,

I have used many different mowers through the years, the z turns I have used are Toro, JD, Kubota, Husky, Hustler and demoed a bad boy. The walkers I've used are the GHS, Super Bee, Bee. I have owned the Super Bee with the 60 inch rough/finish deck with 27 hp and the newer walker with the yanmar diesel with the 52 inch mulch/finish deck with rear discharge. Every machine has strenghts and weakness's but with the Z turn mower, having the steering and forward control on one lever is a real disadvantage on steep hills. When you are going down hill the wheel that turns the machine either right or left spins backwards and tends to slip rather than turn, pushing you straight down the hill. Walkers have independent forward and turn levers giving you much better control on steep terrain. Going up hill with a Z mower without front weight lifts the front of the mower off the ground and because the deck lifts up when the front wheels come off the ground, you get uneven cuts. As far as really steep terrain goes, the walker will back up anything, you just put more weight down on footrest to keep the tail down and the deck is independent so it stays on the ground. When mowing with a Z turn on steep hillsides mowing sideways, they tend to cut lower on the down hill side due to gravity and the deck hanging chains as opposed to free floating.

As far as striping is concerned, I think your pictures pretty much tell the story as to which looks better and more defined. Truly of all the decks I have used, the 52 rear discharge/mulch walker deck is the most versatile deck I have ever used. It mows an executive lawn and then mows a lot and leaves little residue (wet or dry) and what is left is like sawdust. It never plugs up and strips better than the 60.

Mowing speed is truly about the same with all mowers in this class as most ground dictates a speed slower than a machine is capable of mowing. Every machine I have used when pushed to the max always leave mowing donuts on areas where the deck bounces on rough spots and very few big areas are perfectly smooth. Walker mowers are faster because they mow closer than z turns which equates into less weed eating time. Having a deck out front is always going to be faster than a mid mount. Getting under things rather than just up to makes a world of difference on how much weed eating has to be done which equates in to faster time and more money.

Deck weight in any big mower is considerable and lifting the walker takes some strength but cleaning, servicing and normal day to day mowing makes the out front deck much more functional than having to run your mower up on ramps or a trailer to change blades or clean a clogged deck.

Walker mowers are all american made which is a rarity these days and Vaughn is without question the best dealer I have ever worked with, he goes out of his way to make sure your up and running in every situation and one of very few who really has service after the sale.

Situations change from year to year and having the ability to change to any size deck from 42 to 72 quickly on the same tractor is a real plus. Changing a deck on a walker takes about 3 minutes. Also the many attachments which are first party makes them the most versatile machine out there.
Everybody has their own opinion and tend to push what they have and what they are used to running but the bottom line is if you have used each mower over an extensive period of time, the walker wins all around.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but that's all it is- your opinion.