Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Batch Of Mulch?

I am fairly new to the lawn care industry. I have been mowing for a few years but just this year took on a few commercial contracts. I went and mulched a couple of them with brown mulch over the weekend and then we got some rain and I went back a few days after to take some pictures of the mulching and the rain had washed the brown dye out of the mulch. Its not terrible but its definitely noticeable. Customers have not said anything to be about it yet...but I assume they will. What gives?? Is this normal for brown mulch??...or do I need to go to my supplier (who has been making and selling mulch in this area for 20+ years) for a warranty of some sort?? Just sucks that I may need to re-do HOURS and HOURS of work!

Heres a picture to help show the issue...

Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

It was nice and brown like this when spread..

Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had that happen last summer, how long had it had to dry after being dyed? I went back and re-dyed my job a week or so after putting it down, looked good for several months after that. I have also found that shredded hardwood bark is much better than the recycled green waste like you have there.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Member

No idea how long it had dried for. The place I purchased it from must not have allowed it to dry long enough? I will have to look into how to dye the mulch so I can spiff it up and make it look good.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought some dye from JDL and it worked great just use your sprayer. You can also get it through AM leonard but its alot cheaper at JDL.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Perfect. I appreciate the fast response. Thats what I am gonna have to do.

...13 yards of mulch spread....and it all looks like its a year old!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For best results spray the whole bed then go through with a rake then spray another layer. The dye is messy if you get it on the sidewalk so be careful.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Dyed mulch needs about 24 hours to cure once it is applied before rain. The dye never has a chance to set while it is in the hot moist pile of mulch. It must be spread out for it to cure properly. The only time I have ever had an issue with mulch doing that is if a customer runs there irrigation the following morning after I mulch before it has time to fully cure.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Just so you know, I worked for a huge commercial landscaper and we had this happen on close to 300 yards of mulch. If the company that sold you the mulch is reputable they will go out and re-dye epit for you or at least cover your costs. The mulch they sent you was not ready to use yet. This happens very often especially towards the middle to end of the mulch season during high demand. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I went and saw the manager of my mulch supplier and he said no problem you have a credit of 13 yards of mulch!

He recommended I go and rake the mulch. So I went and raked it all (took me a few hours) and it all looks brand new again. It was just the very top that had faded. Thank GOD!