Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Surfactant Options

I've used crop oil as a surfactant before and noticed that the main active ingredient was ordinary mineral oil. Just wondering what you guys thoughts were on using straight mineral oil as a surfactant? Has anyone ever tried this? Thanks.

Last edited by 3XTEKS; 04-24-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-24-2012, 05:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTEKS View Post
I've used crop oil as a surfactant before and noticed that the main active ingredient was ordinary mineral oil. Just wondering what you guys thoughts were on using straight mineral oil as a surfactant? Has anyone ever tried this? Thanks.
I would not for a whole host of reasons.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

...such as...
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with whatever is recommended on the label of the product you're using. Chem companies spend a LOT of money testing their products (rates, surfactants, weed species, turf tolerance, off-target tolerance, etc) and usually make those recommendations with LOTS of data to support their decision.

One product that comes to mind this morning is quinclorac. Quinclorac by itself dosen't control crabgrass very well. If you add some NIS, it does a little better, but doesn't work all that well. But, if you add MSO like the label says, you usually get great crabgrass control.

A lot of guys think that they can reinvent the wheel and find surfactant combinations that will make the product work so much better than what the manufacturer recommends. I can promise you that whatever individual surfactant or combination of surfactants you can possibly think of, the manufacturers have tested it. You're not going to find something that works better than their recommendation and doesn't jeopardize turf safety.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

First of all you did not say what type of mineral oil and provide a CAS for it.

Until we cross that line who is to say what impact it might have. If you try it, safe the money you do not spend as you will likely need it.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
First of all you did not say what type of mineral oil and provide a CAS for it.

Until we cross that line who is to say what impact it might have. If you try it, safe the money you do not spend as you will likely need it.
Just asking in general if anyone's tried this and if so, to what degree of success. I don't have aniy sitting around in a jug waiting to use....
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Skipster, you are most certainly correct. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Just starting a discussion to see if maybe in a pinch, someone's gone a little farther than I after noticing that the main active ingredient (85%) of crop oil is simple mineral oil and if so, what were the results.

I figured in a forum like this, someone may have tried it and have some experience with it or other alternatives like dishwashing liquid and maybe peanut oil (well strained of course).

Last edited by 3XTEKS; 04-24-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: wrong name referenced to
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure. Let us know what happens.
However, I suspect that mineral oil alone would not be so good. As it would not mix with water.
The second ingredient in the surfactant crop oil is probably a detergent or emulsifier--to allow the oil to mix with water. Otherwise the oil floats above the water.
Also I have noticed a bit of damage from crop oil, some grasses slowly faded out.

If you are cheap--like me--use laundry detergent, from dollar store. Results not guaranteed...YMMV.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry but if you knew how many differnt Mineral Oils there were then you would know that we can not respond until you nail it down. I do not recommend it.

If you has a CAS# then may be would be able to help you more.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Sorry but if you knew how many differnt Mineral Oils there were then you would know that we can not respond until you nail it down. I do not recommend it.

If you has a CAS# then may be would be able to help you more.
Dayum. I guess if we ever have other questions about Mineral Oil we can come to you?

lol

Tags
crop oil , detergent , spreader stickers , sticker spreader , stickers