Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I don't see it as flawed thinking at all.

I use this method all time. if I really don't want a job or can't fit it in, which I don't know until I see. I price it EXTREMELY high to discourage the person from hiring me.

if hired all that extra money makes it worth it. but I have yet to be hired when I price things EXTREMELY high. it has so far worked in my favor. that way I don't get a wrap for being to busy or turning away work.
His route is FULL. He doesnt have any more time to take on more. So why watse time giving estimates on jobs you know you can't do. Get overwhelmed and you start cutting corners and losing accounts from decline in service. See how fast the calls stop when you get the rap of being the most expensive guy in town.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 04-24-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

- upgrade equipment to 36 inch walkbehind hydro...30 percent more work ---work on the weekend and start earlier-
-group yards together by proximity on same day...stop talking on phone and answer messages when driving-
-tell people you will bill them at end of month so you don't have to spend 5-10 minutes talking to each customer after every yard-
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
- upgrade equipment to 36 inch walkbehind hydro...30 percent more work ---work on the weekend and start earlier-
-group yards together by proximity on same day...stop talking on phone and answer messages when driving-
-tell people you will bill them at end of month so you don't have to spend 5-10 minutes talking to each customer after every yard-
Much of that he covered but the monthly billing. Good idea but not sure how much time this really saves.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Raise your prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
See how fast the calls stop when you get the rap of being the most expensive guy in town.
Proof's in the pudding.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yet somehow for the last 6 years I average 4 phone calls a day from possibly new business.

yep I sure have the rap of being the most expensive because I shoot higher prices if I don't want or can't do the work.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Much of that he covered but the monthly billing. Good idea but not sure how much time this really saves.
We tell every customer during the estimate and service agreement signing that we send them their bill in the mail on the 1st of every month. I do end up talking to some customers while I'm servicing their yard, but it's only when they approach me for whatever reason. Also, when they call, they speak directly to my supervisor because I can't talk on the phone while running equipment. Works out fine that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTenterprises View Post
Like I said, no disrespect. I'm 10 years older than you, but by no means an expert. Good luck!
None taken. It's all good :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybow View Post
How about raising the prices of the cleanups to slow it down?
In some cases, we have raised prices, but not really to slow anything down. This was done more as a corrective measure after a customer has been on service for a full year. When we first started doing estimates, we under-estimated a few jobs, and their average times per service have been higher than what they were quoted for. We weren't doing anything extra that they hadn't originally signed up for. The work just took longer than we anticipated, so we made some price adjustments for them to balance things out. When this was done, letters were sent to these customers explaining the situation, and included all the recorded times for each service over the course of the year. Coincidentally, not a single customer dropped service after this was done. Honestly, I was hoping for at least one to drop, but that didn't happen. Now they're all paying the appropriate price.

As for raising prices to discourage customers from starting any sort of service, it doesn't look good for our reputation. Especially if the customer was referred by someone who's done business with us, and has been given a good idea of what our prices are like. Also, efforts to turn away business isn't something I enjoy exercising. I suppose it'd be one thing if we wanted to stay at the same level/size we're at now, but we're looking to grow and acquire the means to help take on more business.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To address another comment- part of a comment that is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
In curious as to why a certain person has to be present when mowing a yard....[/i][/size]
There's two customers on our Friday route that demand the presence of my supervisor/brother, but for different reasons.

The first one use to be a customer of my brother's back when he had his own business. She had gone through numerous LCOs, and none of them were able to get the work done up to her standards. When she heard we were doing lawn maintenance again, she immediately signed up, but under the strict condition that she have the same guy doing the work that she was so pleased with before. To this lady, nobody else will do. She found someone she likes, and won't have it any other way.

The 2nd one wasn't a former customer, but like the other, he found "his" guy when my brother started doing the weed control for him. Nobody else he tried hiring was able to control the weeds in his lawn and flowerbeds like my brother's been able to. There's also been numerous other problems with his lawn and plants (ie: fungal diseases) that nobody else, myself included, have been able to correct. For this, it makes him obligated to be present on that job site to make sure this customer's lawn and garden is taken care of best as possible.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
We tell every customer during the estimate and service agreement signing that we send them their bill in the mail on the 1st of every month. I do end up talking to some customers while I'm servicing their yard, but it's only when they approach me for whatever reason. Also, when they call, they speak directly to my supervisor because I can't talk on the phone while running equipment. Works out fine that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well then it seems you covered most all the suggestions already. The idea of adding a guy is the best way to have a higher production and he can learn your system / quality / expectations.