Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
40/week sounds about right for a solo that is my goal also. I'm at 35 total now but the phone is ringing and I'm adding clients everyday, and I'm certainly not the cheapest guy out there nor do I want to be. It's been a great year so far, much different than last year for sure.
So you should be at 40 by Sunday right? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't hire anyone then you should raise your prices. It's basic economics. As demand for your services increases so should your prices. you need to make that cheddar baby
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I must say I wish that could happen to me. Lol and yeah I agree with jville. Dont jump 20 bucks but every new estimate you plan on taking on you should add a few bucks to ur personal profit. Cuase clearly ur doing well and people want your service over others. Just an idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We're already one of the most expensive companies in the counties we service. If people want cheap, I direct them to someone else. If they want quality, they sign up with us because they've dealt with enough lowballers and learned the hard way. One of my customers that's been on service for a year complained to me today because we raised his bill accordingly. He saw the increase, and threatened to quit. I wasn't about to try and save the account. If he wants to quit, I'll gladly let him go so he can jerk around someone else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

yeahh... im in the stages where i take pretty much anyone (but i dont low ball. if i price myself according to my own expenses.) but right now there is no turning anyone away lol i want to grow to where i need more then one crew. i have one question for a business class assignment. how many one .75 acre yards do you think a 2 man crew can mow trim blow (with good quality) in one eight hour day? i need to write a business plan for a class and i might as well use one i want to do.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieobrien View Post
yeahh... im in the stages where i take pretty much anyone (but i dont low ball. if i price myself according to my own expenses.) but right now there is no turning anyone away lol i want to grow to where i need more then one crew. i have one question for a business class assignment. how many one .75 acre yards do you think a 2 man crew can mow trim blow (with good quality) in one eight hour day? i need to write a business plan for a class and i might as well use one i want to do.
Honestly, I don't have an answer to the above question. It all depends on mower sizes, speeds, number and sizes of obstacles to work around, dimensions of the lawn(s) involved, number and sizes of trees, amount and frequency of debris and leafs cluttering areas, and so forth. Regardless of size, every job is going to take more or less time depending on numerous factors. Two of my accounts are the same size, but one takes twice as long 10 months out of the year, and 6 times as long 2 months out of the year.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieobrien View Post
it depends on a few factors...first is travel time to each job...you need to get groups of 2 or more together at each stop...this is a very important goal to reach and maintain throughout the entire growth stage..keeping the route as tight as possible will make or break you...to answer your ? we currently have 3 rigs out with 3 guys on each...one is strictly a mow and go type (cheap 25.00 1/4 acre lawns) and they average 3 per hr. 24 per day 5 days a week..we dont run on weekends.... they are for family time ..my guys are mostly all married with kids and take their work a bit more seriously than some of the younger guys..and most have been with us many many years...running a lco can be tough,hard, ect...but it canalso be fun and rewarding.....all depends on you....have fun and good luck!! and remeber this...you dont work for your business...it works for you...

Last edited by MR-G; 04-26-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
So you should be at 40 by Sunday right? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Well to get to 40/week because most are bi weekly accounts I figure I need probably 70-80 accounts total,not quite by sunday but this year for sure if I can keep it going, honestly hadn't figured out all the logistics yet but I just keep going until I figure I can't do anymore then start trying to get my PT helper to go fulltime and just keep going, The one thing I figured out is to be constantly advertising and I mean constantly anywhere and everywhere.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
It is not too hard really.
You just need a good presence.
No joke- The main thing that draws in all our business is our ad on Craigslist. 2nd to that is customer referrals, and 3rd is our website. I've heard on here numerous times that craigslist ads only attract lowballing customers, and aren't worth the time and effort of advertising there, but it really does work for us as 80% of our calls come from people who found us on Craigslist.

It's like fishing: You gotta drop your line where the fish are at, and you have to use bait that's attractive and exotic (to the location). You're not going to catch any fish by tying a cup of water to your line. They have all the water they want where they're at. Give them something that nobody else is offering and is exactly what they want.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In case anyone's wondering, here's a link to the ad we run on Craigslist:
http://modesto.craigslist.org/hss/2955869845.html