Register free!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
I looked into the usps program and found that it isn't worth it. At least in my market it is not. the problem with it is that it goes to EVERY residential mailbox in the desired route. If it is a multifamily home with three mailboxes, then three cards are left there. For me it is much more cost effective to do a mailing list with my desired demographics. The usps program does have it's benefits, but I think that it is best for other industries that are not targeting property owners. But other markets very well may differ.
Thats why you have to pic neighborhoods with single family homes. It shows you which ones, the rest that are mixed together you can just buy a list for or make your own.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just to explain my point a bit further, by the time I paid to have enough postcards printed to cover every house on a route just to get to the houses I wanted to target, I would come out spending about as much as I did by printing the labels myself and paying the extra amount of postage. Not to mention, I don't have lazyass Jimbob calling me up wanting biweekly service on his junk lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
I looked into the usps program and found that it isn't worth it. At least in my market it is not. the problem with it is that it goes to EVERY residential mailbox in the desired route. If it is a multifamily home with three mailboxes, then three cards are left there. For me it is much more cost effective to do a mailing list with my desired demographics. The usps program does have it's benefits, but I think that it is best for other industries that are not targeting property owners. But other markets very well may differ.
Green

I understand your concern. A 40 unit Condo doesn't need 40 post cards advertising Grass cutting.

In my case I want 40 post cards going to 40 different condo owners, who are potential STRUCTURAL PEST CONTROL CUSTOMERS. While you can elect not to mail to businesses I want to mail to business. Here in the Bug Capital of America everyone is a potential customer.

BTW this is the first time in my life I have advertised like this or wanted to. I am try to pump the business in order to sell it. Standard Pest Accounts here in Florida are now 125% of a years gross.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why sell it when its 5% product cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Green

I understand your concern. A 40 unit Condo doesn't need 40 post cards advertising Grass cutting.

In my case I want 40 post cards going to 40 different condo owners, who are potential STRUCTURAL PEST CONTROL CUSTOMERS. While you can elect not to mail to businesses I want to mail to business. Here in the Bug Capital of America everyone is a potential customer.

BTW this is the first time in my life I have advertised like this or wanted to. I am try to pump the business in order to sell it. Standard Pest Accounts here in Florida are now 125% of a years gross.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquityGreen View Post
Why sell it when its 5% product cost?

Posted via Mobile Device
Equity

The structural side actually has a lower cost than 5%. I figure Gasoline just to get to the job as the biggest expense. But WHY SELL????? I am 71 years old and wouldn't mind slowing down a little.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 04-26-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you you into the UPS program ,they have it were you can delete addresses for the route your trying to mail out to.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm actually looking into doing it and about to pull the trigger. I figured it would be a good and easy way to get into those smaller gated communities. All i need is an IN.....=)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch21 View Post
I'm actually looking into doing it and about to pull the trigger. I figured it would be a good and easy way to get into those smaller gated communities. All i need is an IN.....=)
I pulled the trigger on my first route of 644 postal customers as an experiment. They are being delivered today. I had 5,000 printed and hope to mail close to a thousand a week. I didn't want to mail them all at once. I am hoping for a spread out response that would be easier to handle. I am hoping for a 0.005% return on my advertising. At a out of pocket cost of $ 200.20 per thousand that is a $ 40.40 cost per new customer. IMHO That is as good as it can get.

The post office is dieing and the EDDM program is trying to save the USPS. Postal Employee are super on board with this program and are bending over backward to be helpful. I believe they are seeing this as a way to save their jobs. But the Bottom line is I got tons of help when I dropped off my first mailing on Tuesday. The Postmaster even suggested I wait until Friday so I wouldn't get lost in the weekly supermarket advertisements.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I pulled the trigger on my first route of 644 postal customers as an experiment. They are being delivered today. I had 5,000 printed and hope to mail close to a thousand a week. I didn't want to mail them all at once. I am hoping for a spread out response that would be easier to handle. I am hoping for a 0.005% return on my advertising. At a out of pocket cost of $ 200.20 per thousand that is a $ 40.40 cost per new customer. IMHO That is as good as it can get.

The post office is dieing and the EDDM program is trying to save the USPS. Postal Employee are super on board with this program and are bending over backward to be helpful. I believe they are seeing this as a way to save their jobs. But the Bottom line is I got tons of help when I dropped off my first mailing on Tuesday. The Postmaster even suggested I wait until Friday so I wouldn't get lost in the weekly supermarket advertisements.

Today I got 4 calls today from the 644 post cards I send out as EDDM. First call was a tire kicker husband and wife team who tried to work me for a price. I got real frustrated with them and walked away. When they chased me to my truck I told them I didn't want to do business with them, and to find an other pest control company. I hate dealing with cheap people.

The other 3 calls bought my Florida special package and were easy to get along with. One actually paid for a years service up front. For a trial run I am super happy with the response. I also feel I may get more calls from these first group because I advertised Fire Ant Control real hard and heavy. As soon as the Rains start, Fire Ants will be looking for higher ground and I should be getting more calls.

Next week I will be mailing at least a 1,000 post cards.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Though im not a pest guy ( just browsing) I do have alot of experience with direct mail. You really want to dial in on your target market. Why send out 5000 when you can send out 1000 and get an equal number of calls. Choose based on income, education, zip code, dwelling type, etc. Who do you want to work for? Who do you work for? I also suggest hand sticking postage and not making the flyer too polished. You want the recipient to look at the card before throwing it away with all the other junk they get. If the card looks like it could be as important as a hand written note from grandma, your getting calls. Dont just throw money at it...