Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is that mower BAGGING????????

Well I wondered how long it would be. I sold my Walker and was wondering who would say something. A couple that I thought would say something has not said anything, however sure enough Friday afternoon here came one. He came up and asked if that mower was bagging like the other one. I told him no and that I was not bagging anymore and going back to mulching. "Well I want it bagged" he said, so I nicely asked him if he wanted me to finish and keep doing it till he found someone. "No I want you to keep doing it and bagging it like you have always done". So I again tell him I sold the mower and am not bagging anymore just mulching like I did before I bought the mower. "Well you have always bagged mine". So I tell him no I have not, and that I started mowing their lawn back in 02 or 03 and did not buy the Walker until 07 and when I bought it I also bought a mulching deck that I used on the residential lawns until 09 and then sold the mulching deck. Well I guess he has been calling around because today I had one of my buddies call and asked me if I wanted another lawn in one of the neighborhoods that I mow in. He told me the guy wanted it bagged so he told him I was the only one in town that bagged. I told my buddy the story and he said that was who it was. I guess I will have my wife call Thursday to see if he found anyone yet. I just love how you do something for a couple of years and they say you have always done it.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Well I wondered how long it would be. I sold my Walker and was wondering who would say something. A couple that I thought would say something has not said anything, however sure enough Friday afternoon here came one. He came up and asked if that mower was bagging like the other one. I told him no and that I was not bagging anymore and going back to mulching. "Well I want it bagged" he said, so I nicely asked him if he wanted me to finish and keep doing it till he found someone. "No I want you to keep doing it and bagging it like you have always done". So I again tell him I sold the mower and am not bagging anymore just mulching like I did before I bought the mower. "Well you have always bagged mine". So I tell him no I have not, and that I started mowing their lawn back in 02 or 03 and did not buy the Walker until 07 and when I bought it I also bought a mulching deck that I used on the residential lawns until 09 and then sold the mulching deck. Well I guess he has been calling around because today I had one of my buddies call and asked me if I wanted another lawn in one of the neighborhoods that I mow in. He told me the guy wanted it bagged so he told him I was the only one in town that bagged. I told my buddy the story and he said that was who it was. I guess I will have my wife call Thursday to see if he found anyone yet. I just love how you do something for a couple of years and they say you have always done it.
I can kind of understand where he is coming from. Even if you've only been bagging for a few years, he obviously likes that. I wouldn't buy a bagger for one customer, but I can understand. It's funny, I seriously think Florida is the only state where people don't bag and customers don't care. I have yet to have someone ask me to bag.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I can kind of understand where he is coming from. Even if you've only been bagging for a few years, he obviously likes that. I wouldn't buy a bagger for one customer, but I can understand. It's funny, I seriously think Florida is the only state where people don't bag and customers don't care. I have yet to have someone ask me to bag.
Posted via Mobile Device
No bagging here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
The only time I see any LCO here with a bagger, is in early spring, and fall time. Any other time, everyone here mainly side discharges, and a few mulch.

I've had people argue with me that bagging looks so much better, and makes their lawn healthier, but I explain to them that mulching saves on fertilizer, and is the healthiest choice for a lawn, and that there will not be clippings all over the lawn when I'm done. They always look at me like I am trying to sell them on the idea so that I don't have to do any extra work or something. Then I show them several lawn care books that explain mulching's benefits, and all of a sudden, it's like "Oh, ok. Do that then". I guess being in some book makes it legit, but coming from the dumb lawn guy it's just BS.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
They just kind of got the bagging by accident. When I downsized that was what I started using and did not up the price. I did have one ask me when I got the new mower and told him during the winter. He has a Fescue mix and I have mowed his several times already and he did not even know.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've had a few ask for bagging and after i cut the yard they were amazed at how good it looked without bagging. they never asked for bagging again after that. if you mow weekly there will be 0 clippings on the yard side discharging. heck most of mine are bi-weekly and there are very few clippings left on the yard afterwards. i've never had any complaints.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I had a similar customer back in the early 2000s. Very picky, very anal.
For two seasons I had them convinced I was bagging when I wasn't.
In 02 I sold the business and with in two weeks the guy I sold it to got busted because he wasn't as careful to BS them as what I was. The walker deck leaves very few clumps but if there was one I'd either double cut it or hit it with the blower while doing the sidewalks.

He didn't and got caught.... and fired.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

TD
Explain the benefits of mulching. How it returns nutrients to the soil. If your mower is good then you will not leave any visible clippings and appearance will be just as good.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Sounds just like the homeowners in an elderly community we service. We took the contract from a previous company "that always did this and that" ". The "others" always bagged, cut every week, edged all surfaces including beds every week.

People like to invent things they saw so that they can squeeze every bit of work out of you for their dollar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

a bigger point I personally see is switching after the season has already started. IMO you don't just go from bagging for a couple years straight to no bagging, once the season is in motion.

that is something to be done before the season starts.

it's leaving the client hanging which isn't ethically right.