Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Fert. Rate Question

My local Ag Ext. office suggested that I apply 4-5 lbs. of actual Nitrogen per 1000 throughout the season. They gave me a schedule that consists of adding about a lb. 4-5 times per season. This was based on the fact that I have really good cultivars of KBG and have irrigation system. Here's my question (and they haven't responded to me):

If the Lesco fert. is say 15-15-5. That means that by volume 15% is nitrogen. How do I figure out what one pound of nitrogen is??

Here's what I think...tell me if I am wrong...

I usually apply the 15-15-5 at 3.5 pounds per 1000. Does this mean 15% of 3.5 is .525. Does this mean I put down .525 lbs. of actual nitrogen when I do this. And then doubling this would mean approximately 1 lb. of actual nitrogen?

Does this sound correct?

Thanks for your input!!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct, Teach.
However, you don't need the middle number, the phosphorus, its expensive, (and phos is outlawed in some states).

And they didn't even tell you that slow release nitrogen is far superior: it resists wash out due to heavy rain, and it lasts longer--so you don't need as much. Try to find a higher quality nutritional product. It should have about 50 percent of the nitrogen in the form of slow release.
In Springfield your soil may be high quality. Perhaps you don't really need the last number either (potassium, also expensive).

Perhaps 37-0-0 fully coated is the best bet.
If your soil potash is 120 lbs/acre or more--you don't need more.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would do a soil test then you would know what your lawn needs
Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am going to run by JDL this weekend so I'll look for some slow release at a higher nitrogen content and lower potash etc... I would assume Lesco would have something. My early spring soil tests were good. Everthing seems balanced. PH of 6.6.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know, I love educated homeowners vs uneducated townhome owner. Good for you teach!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks pinto. I've actually learned a lot from people on here. It's nice to know I am not the only "psycho lawn guy"
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You are correct, Teach.
However, you don't need the middle number, the phosphorus, its expensive, (and phos is outlawed in some states).

And they didn't even tell you that slow release nitrogen is far superior: it resists wash out due to heavy rain, and it lasts longer--so you don't need as much. Try to find a higher quality nutritional product. It should have about 50 percent of the nitrogen in the form of slow release.
In Springfield your soil may be high quality. Perhaps you don't really need the last number either (potassium, also expensive).

Perhaps 37-0-0 fully coated is the best bet.
If your soil potash is 120 lbs/acre or more--you don't need more.

Riggle is correct-no Phosphorus in Illinois, unless soil test indicates (however I have never seen a soil test low on P).
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Teach - you have it figured out but here is a cheat sheet for any other home owners that may struggle understanding what they are putting down in terms of the amount of a particular nutrient per thousand.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/fert...tor/index.html

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

@Poet: Thanks! That calculator is slick!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach123 View Post
Thanks pinto. I've actually learned a lot from people on here. It's nice to know I am not the only "psycho lawn guy"
Just wait until you start talking with the lawn ie: "Now let's see what we can do for you today. Got a little fungus, Well, I just take care of that."

Psychotic and being Italian-German, speaking interchangable, close friend is Japanese, walking in running irrigation systems--no wonder people won't talk with me, but I'm sure left alone to do my work, but my friend is worse.