Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Stander 61" ZK Hydro Leaks

So here is what i have, 3 Stander ZK 61" mowers all with bad hydro pump leaks. I have done 1 back in 2008 when we first got them, but never wanted to do it again lol. It is super crowded arround the hydro pumps, and seemed nearly impossible to get the pumps, hoses and get everything clean with out seperating the deck section from the chassis. The Deck houses everything, the Engine, Blades, Hydro motors.
The First one i did i could not get the pulleys off the pumps in order to get the pumps themselves off. I tryed undoing the A-Arms supporting the deck from under, alowwing the deck to swing out a few more inches on the support chains..but this still seemed difficult and dangerous because of things moving and potentially pinching off body parts...So i ended up taking everything apart so that i had plenty of room to work.
Has anyone ever done this type of work on these machines or anything similar? if so how did you go about it. They have been leaking slightly for almost 2 years but now they are gushers and have to be fixed. Oil keeps getting on the double-V belt and causing failure, which in it's self is not a fun job replacing that tight a** belt.

Here are some pictures of where i'm at now..You can see the Chassis has a support/guard plate thats right under where the hydro pumps sit, when lifted into the air almost vertically the deck falls back into the hole even further making things even tighter. This machine wieghs in about 950lbs and i dont like being under it with an old electric hoist mounted to an even older metal roof frame. when lifting this machine, the whole roof shakes.
Attached Images

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
18 Encore Rage 52" Stand On Mower
400+ pieces of RedMax Equipment
150+ pieces of Kawasaki Power Equipment
350+ pieces of Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
.....A constant barrage of broken machines!!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And please excuse the messy run down shop, been hella busy this season.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ricky...I figured if anybody would know the shortcuts on Standers...You'd be that guy.
Did the Stander rep have any insight on pump r n r ?
Seems they would have alot of overheating and leaking problems...Not in a well ventilated area.
What a PITA pump location....wheres a trained monkey when you need one ?
I dont even think my trained tools ( the ones with eyes ) could access that pump.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a lift to put the mower up in the air and get at the bottom?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

If it's just leaking you might get away with a seal kit. But if the input shaft seal is blown out check inside of the pump that is a true sign of a bearing failure. Most of the time these pumps leak from the O-rings for the hose connections. The hose end is JIC but they use an O-Ring going into the head.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pugs..we have a small air powered scissor lift, no way to get up under the machine.

MSTmarc... They have had minor leaks for years now, mainly around the large o-ring seal where the manifold mounts to the body of the pump. Now one pump has sprung a leak from the upper main seal on the shaft right under the Fans.

piston....i talked with them years back but don't remember what exactly was said. The engine/hydro platform does unattach from the main deck body/frame, but pretty much the same amount of work involved. and harder to move things around without the 2 halves being on wheels and anti-scalp rollers.

Just now got everything apart and cleaned, now time to reseal the pumps, get some new hoses made, and get back to finishing up... hopefully by tomorrow around lunchtime. only 1 pump was leaking this entire time, the other pump will get new seals anyways since i have it all apart. hoses are all 4 years old so they will all be replaced also and have the originals for spares.

Once i finish this machine i will recommend the owner look into selling them and getting the fixed decked machines i so love

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"