Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it to late to seed or sod?

In my backyard around one of my larger trees I have maybe a 15'x15' area around the tree that the roots of the tree are above the surface. I'm thinking I can bring in some top soil and cover up the root again but was curious if I could then either seed or sod over it to get grass growing.

The backyard is nearly all shade, I'd say at least 5-6 hours a day easily. All from tree shade.

If I'm to late in the game, when would it be suggested that I try to cover up the roots and get grass growing?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are dealing with grass dying under that tree every year, the problem is the tree is growing and the shade and tree root competition is just getting worse, you might want to think about another alternative, like mulch, ivy or pachysandra this article will explain - http://www.grassstitcher.com/lawn-ca...ees-and-grass/

If you want to increase your success with growing grass in the shade read this article - http://www.grassstitcher.com/lawn-ca...rass-in-shade/

Fall is generally a better time to plant grass, but if you try this spring and it fizzles out by mid summer, you are dealing with too much shade / tree competition.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll have to see if I can't snap a few pictures of it this evening after I go demo a Hustler Sport. The tree has several roots at the surface but the grass that's currently around the tree is growing pretty well.

My main issue is trying to cut that grass, the roots are above the surface enough where it will hit the deck of my push mower and or blades. It did the same with my old riding mower. So what I've had to do is cut it with a weed wacker instead.

My purpose now is really so that I can create a better looking and more "level" surface without all the roots.

I could certainly mulch some of it, but a now sure how a massive mulch pile around the tree to cover up all the roots would look.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Here are some pictures of the tree... please bear in mind the bare spot you see in the center of the first picture is my fault. I did place left over top soil there about a month ago, but already grass is growing, slowly but growing.

So again I'm just wondering, if I got get 1-2 cubic yards of top soil to lay around the tree to cover up the roots again, will I be able to get grass to grow this time of year?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

That grass seems to be doing pretty good under that tree, for now. So sure I would go ahead and put down some topsoil and seed now. But a word of caution, tree roots need to breath, do not dump too much topsoil over the roots or you might end up with problems.

Tags
55'